Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking at adding set of headers and running a Y pipe to a 2" single exhaust system from Classic inlines. Later on I may put a different cam in but first things first. I'm not looking for a beast I6 200, just a drivable car with a little more power than stock. With that said will I notice an increase in power with this setup? This would be going in my wife's 65 I6 Vert.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I have a stock 200 with electronic ignition. I installed a Hooker header and 2" going back to a single dual in dual out muffler.

To be honest 2" is too big. I had to run that size based on header and muffler constrictions. I do experience significant droning at highway speeds. There is just too much exhaust for a 200 to fill. Currently the exhaust exits in front of the rear axle. Hopefully taking it out the back will help with this. Otherwise I may have to reduce down to 1 3/4"

As far as performance. It may help some. It won't be day and night.

Update: I fixed a small exhaust least I discovered. It actually eliminated much of the droning I was experiencing. It's definitely still there, but not nearly as bad.

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
I did Classic Inline dual headers...H Pipe....MagnaFlow...GT Trumpets.. Sounds great

Car also has Webber 2bbl, Pertronix, rebuilt head, 8" with 3.20 gears & 3 speed (3.03)..

Car is no speed demon, but gets my kid around every day.. I absolutely hated the header.. Had to build a custom Throttle linkage, rig a new A/C - Alternator Bracket (Swap them)....and heat wrap the headers to get it working... Royal pain... I personally think it is to much custom work for the very neglible gain..

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
So would a 1.75" exhaust systerm with headers be more of a match for an otherwise stock I200? It's a single exhaust with Y pipe to connect to the header and stock type muffler.

·
Registered
2,931 Posts
single 2 exhaust

Tom, you'll be fine with a 2 inch single. The folks who tell you thats too big don't understand how exhaust works. LSG

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I have a stock 200 with electronic ignition. I installed a Hooker header and 2" going back to a single dual in dual out muffler.

To be honest 2" is too big. I had to run that size based on header and muffler constrictions. I do experience significant droning at highway speeds. There is just too much exhaust for a 200 to fill. Currently the exhaust exits in front of the rear axle. Hopefully taking it out the back will help with this. Otherwise I may have to reduce down to 1 3/4"

As far as performance. It may help some. It won't be day and night.
What do you think of the Hooker Header?

·
Registered
429 Posts
I'm looking at adding set of headers and running a Y pipe to a 2" single exhaust system from Classic inlines. Later on I may put a different cam in but first things first. I'm not looking for a beast I6 200, just a drivable car with a little more power than stock. With that said will I notice an increase in power with this setup? This would be going in my wife's 65 I6 Vert.
I have the dual headers and x pipe with 2" pipe. When I first did it all I had was a DUI and Weber 32/36 carb. It all made the drive abilty and performance better. If you have any question just send me a PM.

·
Registered
133 Posts
I agree with LSG,, to me there's no such thing as too large of an exhaust system(within reason). I have 30 years doing exhaust,,, an TONS of race car, street machines,, etc,, I assume that you have a split inline 6 header,,, with 2"??? outlets,, and then you want to Y them into a single 2" pipe,,, which is normally a huge mistake,, but not so much with a stock engine,, but it could be in the future if you decide to build it a bit.

The biggest reasons people blame their exhaust size,, is due to the crappy muffler they installed,, which are basically noise boxes,,, you've seen the cut-aways of the so-called, performance mufflers, with all of the special shaped baffles inside,,, Worthless!!

I have removed SEVERAL HUNDREDS of those crappy mufflers over the years for customers,, due to their performance & especially their sound. Flowmasters & the flowmaster knock-offs are some of the worst,,, people think that because the ex is super loud,, they must be going faster,,lol

Mr Wallace has done it properly,, and has installed an H-pipe system with with Magnaflow Mufflers,, some of the absolute best mufflers you could ever run for the money. Straight through mufflers,,, like combining a glass pack with a large body muffler. One of their big advantages is you can adjust the level of noise inside the car & out by changing the body size & length of the muffler,, all of which really has no effect on the flow or performance. The main problem is usually space,, what you can actually fit to the vehicle.

When you have the room,, an X-pipe system is one of the best,, especially on very high performance cars,,, But there are many times, when done properly,, a Y-Pipe setup can work just as well,, and it's usually lighter & cheaper to do.

I ran a Y setup on my circle track car,,, (2) 3" header pipes Y-ed into a 4" pipe with a huge magnaflow muffler designed for a diesel truck,,, and boy did it work & sound great.

I wouldn't worry too much about having to much(big) of an exhaust system with your stock engine,,, I'd like to see your headers Y into at least a 2 1/2" single ex pipe system,,, do it once & do it right the 1st time,, it'll save you in the end,,, plus,,, it'll already be done for when you do your other engine up grades.

Doug

and FYI,, Magnaflows are stainless steel,, and will last a super long time.

·
Registered
6,937 Posts
My 200 inline 6, bone stock, was noticeably faster with header. Mine was a split header with 3 ports into each collector. I wish I could have afforded to do the carb, intake and cam but I was starving my way through college. When I graduated I sold it and bought a Mach 1.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
2" is just fine, and you should notice an increase in power. it wont be a barn burner by any means, but you will notice an improvement. take it one step at a time and build on each modification. you have done the exhaust, so next would be the head and intake. find a late model head from a 3.3 or a 250 and modify that with a direct mount two barrel carb. you might also have the head ported and larger valves installed, a 1.75in/1.50ex combination works nicely. also install 289 valve springs to pick up the rev range.

after that you want to install a duraspark ll ignition system, and set the initial timing to 12-14 degrees. that should pump your six up to about 130hp from the stock 85hp it produces, and thats a difference you can feel.

·
Registered
35,216 Posts
First time I saw duals on a 200 was a 66 coupe. Sounded like a V8. Ran very well. Was dual headers into stock GT dual exhaust.

Dunno why anyone would think 2" was "too big" for a 200. Starting in 67, the 200 had 2" from the factory.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I like the hooker header a lot. Very well built, and wasn't too painful to install. The front section from the top and the rear section from the bottom. Unbolting the engine mounts and raising the engine slightly was necessary, but no biggie. The hardest part was re-shaping the carb linkage a bit. All in all it was an afternoon's job.

I never said 2" was too big. I said dual 2" on a stock engine seems to be too big for me to acquire a decent sound without being echo-y and drone-y at highway cruising rpm/throttle positions. It seems like the engine just doesn't fill that much exhaust. When it's floored or close to floored its great. It really sounds great at 3000rpm + but there just isn't much engine left at that point. So I run out of engine just as it really starts to sound great.

I am running a magnaflow muffler. Not a pos flowmaster. In fact its the smallest dual in dual out I could find. I do like it.

To each his own.

Scott

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
I have the Classic Inlines dual out header running through 2" dual exhaust (exiting through a GT rear valance and exhaust tips). Sounds great, and the most noticeable difference in performance was a decrease in the time required to get up through the RPMs (if that makes sense). Before, the engine always seemed to be in its own way- now it just zips up through the RPMs.

I also have a DUI distributor and mild cam, but I'm running the stock Autolite 1100 carb (with the SCV disabled and ported vacuum running to the DUI).

The single best thing you can do for that 200 inline is a T5 transmission (IMO). The 3.35 first gear will really take advantage of the low end torque the six puts out, and the 0.68 OD will allow you to cruise along at highway speeds. With all the modifications listed above, the only difference performance-wise between the 289 and the 200 will be the first 3.5 seconds or so from a stop. Once you are up to 45mph or so, the 200 (when mated to the T5) is just as capable as the V8.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Varilux,

I wanted to get a look at your engine in Charlotte, but we never seemed to be in the MORE lot at the same time. What head and carb are you running?

I've got a 79 large log head with a 82 Holley single barrel carb. It runs very well, although I had to rig things to get the the throttle linkage to work. I want to go with the GT exhaust trumpets and haven't decided if I should use the dual out header, or a single out header to a y pipe. Or I could even leave it single exhaust and put the second trumpet in as a dummy, but where's the fun in that? This is a daily driver for my son, so I need reliability more than performance. Any thoughts? Oh it will have A/C too, so at impacts the header options vs the stock intake.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I'm going to go ahead with the headers and 2" single exhaust with Y pipe. Later I can swap cams, upgrade the head for a larger log head or a 250 head if I want to up the HP a little more. I don't think I would go with the aluminum head. Also with the header, later on if I wanted to go dual exhaust, replace the Y pipe with and X pipe.

Thanks for the info. Lots of options, more than I thought of to increase power on an I6 200. I'll keep looking at this thread as more entries appear.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
What head and carb are you running?
I've got a 79 large log head with a 82 Holley single barrel carb. It runs very well, although I had to rig things to get the the throttle linkage to work. I want to go with the GT exhaust trumpets and haven't decided if I should use the dual out header, or a single out header to a y pipe. Or I could even leave it single exhaust and put the second trumpet in as a dummy, but where's the fun in that? This is a daily driver for my son, so I need reliability more than performance. Any thoughts? Oh it will have A/C too, so at impacts the header options vs the stock intake.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
Flade,
I'm running an Autolite 1100 (rebuilt) mounted on the log head. I know there are "small" and "large" log heads- not really sure what I have, but a standard Autolite 1100 fits, so I'm assuming its the regular stock head that came with the '65 inline 200. I do know the head was replaced when the engine was rebuilt (I have the original head sitting in my garage).

I went with the GT trumpets and the rear valance (when the car was rear-ended on I-35, I purchased the standard valance AND a GT valance and had both painted- knowing I'd someday install dual exhaust). The GT exhaust set up is one of my favorite Mustang design features.

Yeah, I gave a passing thought to hooking up a dummy pipe for the other side- but decided (like you) that wouldn't be any fun- so I went the whole nine yards with the dual out headers, 2 pipes and mufflers the whole way back.

The A/C is definitely going to be a challenge. My car has a Sanden compressor (and modification bracket) installed on the stock bracket (on mine, the alternator mounts below and the compressor on top, I've heard they come vice versa as well). This bracket will DEFINITELY need to be modified to clear any kind of header. Interestingly, there was an A/C bracket that mounted to the driver's side when A/C was added by the dealer- I searched for one of these brackets but no one manufactures them and I came up empty in my search. Classic Inlines has a tech article on the bracket modification here: Classic Inlines Performance Parts - Headers with A/C However, the shop that installed my headers went a different route to modify the bracket, and I'm very pleased with it (aligns the belt perfectly, and looks decent, IMO). I've posted some pics of the bracket mods.

The Classic Inlines header is designed to work without modification as far as the starter goes (I think as long as you have the high mounted starter it should be no problem). On my car, the shop initially said there was "no way" the #6 tube would clear the solenoid that projects out of the starter. Unfortunately, I went and purchased a mini-starter before having a look myself. Turned out the pipe WILL clear, but you may need to just slightly elongate the mounting holes on the flange of the header (allows the header to slide forward about 1/4", which eliminates the problem). The starter was not returnable, so I have a perfectly good mini-starter for an '65 inline 200 manual sitting in my garage (if anyone wants/needs it, I'd let it go for less than half of the $270 I paid for it).

Attached some (crappy cell taken) images of the dual exhaust when it was first installed. One of the pics shows how you should NOT have the driver's side brake line installed (on top of the axle- with the rubber tubing zip tied down to the axle). Yes, it will keep the line well clear of the exhaust- but if the zip tie ever fails...

Attachments

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
Varilux,

Thanks those pics are great. I currently plan to use the stock A/C compressor, but at some point I may switch to the Sanden. My plan was to do something like yours, just adjust the current bracket to clear the header.

·
Registered
292 Posts
I wanted to post a small update. This weekend I fixed a small exhaust least I discovered. It actually eliminated much of the droning I was experiencing. It's definitely still there, but not nearly as bad.

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I wanted to post a small update. This weekend I fixed a small exhaust least I discovered. It actually eliminated much of the droning I was experiencing. It's definitely still there, but not nearly as bad.
Good to hear. What mufflers are you running?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts