Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5,081 Posts
I'm running a single Magnaflow dual in dual out muffler.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/MPE-11378

I'm not running any sort of cross over (x-pipe or h-pipe). I'm basically letting the muffler do it all for me.
I think the muffler is way too far back to gain any help with balancing the exhaust pressures. You might want to add a crossover as close to the header exhaust as possible.

·
Registered
1 Posts
single 2 exhaust

Tom, you'll be fine with a 2 inch single. The folks who tell you thats too big don't understand how exhaust works. LSG
Hi I Have put 2 inch y pipe and intermediate pipe back to muffler on a 65 convertible with i6 frame. Seems muffler very close to where gas line comes out of tank. All muffler pipes seem correct and bolt perfectly to the stock hangers. Should the muffler be so close to the gas line? Thank you
Rob

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Hi I Have put 2 inch y pipe and intermediate pipe back to muffler on a 65 convertible with i6 frame. Seems muffler very close to where gas line comes out of tank. All muffler pipes seem correct and bolt perfectly to the stock hangers. Should the muffler be so close to the gas line? Thank you
Rob
That far back on an I6 exhaust system isn't hot enough to cause any worry.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
The I6 muffler does sit pretty close to the fuel tank and the rear end, but that's just where it goes. Here's what mine looks like with the stock muffler setup:

·
Registered
102 Posts
I have headers and dual exhaust on my 65 convertible. With that and the 2 barrel carb I saw a huge performance increase as well as a modest MPG increase

·
Registered
836 Posts
What are your thoughts with the I6 coming off the manifold and giving the car dual exhaust without the header? Will that improve the performance or is it useless without the header?

Lastly, if you use a header, does that interfere with the gas pedal linkage to the carb?

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,310 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
I ran a Scott Drake dual output header. It doesn't interfere with the throttle linkage at all. I don't know what you'll get going from into a Y-Pipe into dual exhausts.

·
Registered
2,869 Posts
What are your thoughts with the I6 coming off the manifold and giving the car dual exhaust without the header? Will that improve the performance or is it useless without the header?
that is actually not a bad idea. in fact there are two ways to split the exhaust from single to dual. one is to get a Y pipe and use that. the other is to use a single in dual out muffler. the latter option has the advantage of simplicity going for it. a header is a good idea, but you dont gain as much by installing one like you would with a V8 or an efficient inline four. this does not mean that a header is worthless, it just means you need to do more to take advantage of installing a header on these inlines.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts