Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I aded headers and dual exhaust to my 65 with a 200 6 cyl. The question I have is since I failed to wrap the headers before installing them (rookie mistake) does anyone have ideas on how or what I should do now? The heat being displaced gets all the heater and AC hoses to a temp I am not comfortable with. I have wrapped the hoses in that reflective aluminum tape; but dont like the look to be honest

·
Registered
4,238 Posts
I aded headers and dual exhaust to my 65 with a 200 6 cyl. The question I have is since I failed to wrap the headers before installing them (rookie mistake) does anyone have ideas on how or what I should do now? The heat being displaced gets all the heater and AC hoses to a temp I am not comfortable with. I have wrapped the hoses in that reflective aluminum tape; but dont like the look to be honest
Wrapping your headers can be a mistake if they are not stainless. Wrapped headers have been known to trap moisture and that can promote rust. If you are concerned about radiant heat, a heat deflector or shroud can be made from thin gauge aluminum. Position it within a 1/2" of the header and it will eliminate some of the radiant heat.

·
Registered
1,264 Posts
+1 Wrapping a mild steel header will destroy it . The wrap does it's job fine but it also absorbs moisture when the engine is shut off after running. The "heat shield" is a great idea that works. If you keep the heater hoses at least 6"s away from the header tubes you won't have any issue with them.
Randy

·
Registered
654 Posts
Remove the headers and have them ceramic coated. On a 6 you have plenty of room to remove and reinstall them.

Or do the above heat shield.

Or get Heat Shield Products Hose Sleeve It looks better than tape.

·
Registered
8,512 Posts
Never wrap headers, regardless of what they are made of.....
Cermacoat headers and exhaust inside and out. That is the solution.

That's what we did at JBA back in the day. I just had a set of headers re-coated that
were originally done in 1990. (Coating was starting to show some signs of failure)
Nice and cool all these years and non-rusty headers.

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys I am looking at the heat shield products now as that seems to be an easy but clean presentation

·
Registered
6,503 Posts
That's a nice induction and heat exhaust system you have going on there. The Etype had this idea in the early 60s. louvered hood. They are a hot blooded type, anyway.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts