Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part September's Ride of the Month Challenge!
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone using a choke tube with a holley hot air choke and headers?

What are you using? I know they make a hot air choke tube for headers but is Pony Carbs the only place to get one?

Thanks

·
Registered
10,811 Posts
I just wrap a couple turns of tubing around the header tube, leave about 4" on each end. You can tack/braze/strap/clamp it to the header tube if desired. Run a vacuum line from one end of the coil to the rear nipple on the carb air horn. Run a short tube from the choke fitting to the coil on the header tube, using either vacuum line or a compression fitting to make the joint.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,928 Posts
I've found these kits in the "Help" aisle of chain parts stores like Advance Auto Parts. I believe they call them "Carburetor choke stove kits." They consist of some tubing, clamps, and a sort of metal "tent" to be clamped to a header tube. They work all right as-is, but I bet one modified in Hemikiller fashion would work better.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
I made one from a lenght of soft copper tubing.
wrapped the #3header tube twice and straight to the port with a compression nut and ferrel.

While it worked well, I have cence changed the choke coil to electric and it works even better and cleaner install.

·
Premium Member
19,247 Posts
Chokes work via vacuum to take air from the choke stove. Wrapping soft copper tubing or similar devices should work well, but I would recommend putting in some filtering substance at the open end, so you don't suck up gunk that will eventually clog the choke mechanism.

·
Registered
639 Posts
I have a kit from Pony carb. I has a stock rubber tube that connects to the air horn from inside the air filter same as the stock setup. Then it feeds an aluminum tube to wrap around the header tube. Then it has the fabric insulating covering just like the stock return tube that connects the screw fitting on the choke housing.

If you look over the fender without seeing the headers it looks completly stock. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,762 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am really struggling with the decision if I should get the FPA's or not!!!

If I do I think I will convert to an electric choke.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts