Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking for some side view pics of the FPA headers for a 302 Street Boss. Wondering what the ground clearance is like .
Power steering ? Z bar ? I've got the old B & A intake from Gary Roughly, and I'm retired now, so, why the hell not ? Would need to keep the P/S and A/C though, cause I need my comforts. Awhtx ? Anyone else ? LSG

·
Registered
20,920 Posts
LSG, my 66 with MAC longtubes. Enough ground clearance? Yes, they clear the Z bar, starter and even a PS without the need of the typical drop bracket. I don't have PS so I can't verify.

Now you say Street Boss. later version with Windsor heads or earlier with B2 style heads?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Husk, I have the Mac longtubes, and have E7 heads on the engine now. I also have 351W heads and several sets of 289 heads available. BUT, I also have a Street Boss dual plane and set of 351M heads and some small dome pistons. I'm definately going to run the baby windsor for awhile. Yes, I mean the old style with Cleveland heads. We built several of them when I was working, they're interesting. But, why not enjoy the car with the little 302 and build a Clevor while I drive the way it is ? I wondered what the headers will look like from the side if and when I get that far. LSG

·
Registered
5,949 Posts

FPAs on my 289 with Windsor Sr. (WS) heads. No A/C and no P/S. Stan let me know up front I couldn't use the Z-bar (and i can't). I/m using a cable clutch...

Everything clears (including the #6 plug) which is the issue with WS heads...

Allen

·
Registered
646 Posts

·
Registered
20,920 Posts
Husk, I have the Mac longtubes, and have E7 heads on the engine now. I also have 351W heads and several sets of 289 heads available. BUT, I also have a Street Boss dual plane and set of 351M heads and some small dome pistons. I'm definately going to run the baby windsor for awhile. Yes, I mean the old style with Cleveland heads. We built several of them when I was working, they're interesting. But, why not enjoy the car with the little 302 and build a Clevor while I drive the way it is ? I wondered what the headers will look like from the side if and when I get that far. LSG
I

LSG, I don't think there's too many of us around that remember using 351C or 351M 2V heads. I remember Hot Rod built on back in the late 70's. They used a 289 aluminum intake with spacer plates. I've always loved those builds. I think they made 325 HP at the time. I know I still have that magazine someplace. Keep me posted!

·
Premium Member
11,772 Posts
Here's a side view. The lowest part of the exhaust is the pipe aft of the header. When I installed the T5 I had to rework those pipes to clear the T5 crossmember/mount. I plan to get the car on a lift and build my own crossmember that will allow me to raise the exhaust pipes again. 20200713_194254.jpg

·
Registered
3,033 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Awhtx, thanks, those look fine. When I get to that point, I'll go FPA.
Husk, the shop I worked was owned by a couple that is into Fords, and I'm obviously into them, so when B & A appeared on the scene, and offered a way to build a Street Boss, we HAD to check it out. Pistons were offered just for this. 351C-2V heads can be used, but the neat thing was that 351M and 400 heads could ALSO be used. The 351M heads were everywhere, and usually cheap, because the 351M engine was not well liked. The shop built a few. They were nice little engines. 1 guy wanted one to push his genuine B2 around, so he could drive, have fun, and if he grenaded an engine it didn't hurt the value of the car, because the original was safely on a pallet in his garage.

I am currently distracted with SEVERAL projects, but as I am cleaning ( house fire ), I found a new, never used Street Boss intake for an 8.2 deck, and 6 of the special pistons. 2 of the pistons I might have found, have to clean them up, they were in my house when it burned. We are also house shopping, which isn't easy during the Corona stuff,.....and the 302 with E7 heads and Mac longtubes will be first. But, I could drive on those while using another block ( I have a few ) to build a Street Boss. I already have some 351M heads, but they need freshening. Also have some big blocks, but Mrs LSG has a Galaxie that needs attention. The big FE will probably go there. LSG

1 - 10 of 10 Posts