Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the market for a set of headers for a 66 with a 289 that has power steering. Does anyone have suggestions for a set that doesn't require the power steering drop bracket? I saw some pretty olds posts on this topic but am wondering if there are any more recent recommendations.

·
Spammer Hammer
9,664 Posts
None that I am aware. If you don’t want the bracket, and don’t have a reason (physically), I suggest removing the PS altogether. Then your options open up a bit. Doug’s makes a nice set of Tri-Y. FPA makes a really nice set. Otherwise, if you really don’t need headers, I would suggest a set of HiPo exhaust manifolds if you need or want to keep the PS.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Why not use a set of short or medium length header?
easy to install and no clearance issues.

Reactions: cmefly

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Currently have Hedman shorties on my 66 and a set of coated Patriot headers still sitting on the shelf in the box.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I have a 65 with 289, factory power steering, and a T5. I contacted FPA 2 weeks ago and they said the only thing I would need to do to fit their header is replace my factory alternator with one from the 79 and newer 5.0 cars. The price for FPA headers hurts... but the clearance appears to be top notch. I’m definitely considering going with them.

I wasnt aware of any of the headers from Doug Thorley or Doug’s Headers requiring a change to power steering. Any details on this available?

Thanks!
Rob

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
JBA 1650SJS fit into my Power steering equipped '66 without any major issues. You will need a good set of OE style engine mounts (or a set of adjustable mounts) depending on the dimensional accuracy of your particular car. Mine fit without having to dimple any tubes.

·
Registered
9,085 Posts

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
JBA 1650SJS fit into my Power steering equipped '66 without any major issues. You will need a good set of OE style engine mounts (or a set of adjustable mounts) depending on the dimensional accuracy of your particular car. Mine fit without having to dimple any tubes.
Those are shorties......

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
I have a 65 with 289, factory power steering, and a T5. I contacted FPA 2 weeks ago and they said the only thing I would need to do to fit their header is replace my factory alternator with one from the 79 and newer 5.0 cars. The price for FPA headers hurts... but the clearance appears to be top notch. I’m definitely considering going with them.

I wasnt aware of any of the headers from Doug Thorley or Doug’s Headers requiring a change to power steering. Any details on this available?

Thanks!
Rob
Can't speak to Doug's, but on the Doug Thorley Tri-Y headers, I know they haven't re-designed their "289Y" so you're probably still going
to be using a drop bracket with those. I used to buy them in bare finish just to be safe. I was amazed that they clear a small block
C6.... no mention of that in their footnotes. Also doesn't mention a drop bracket though, so go figure.

·
Registered
20,925 Posts
I'm in the market for a set of headers for a 66 with a 289 that has power steering. Does anyone have suggestions for a set that doesn't require the power steering drop bracket? I saw some pretty olds posts on this topic but am wondering if there are any more recent recommendations.
Yes, MAC longtubes. I'm using them on my 66. They clear everything pretty well. I don't have PS but they advertise that they'll work with PS without a drop bracket for the ram.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Someone just bashed the lights out of my rusty mystery ancient long tubes to get it to clear, seemed to work pretty well..

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
367 Posts
Yes, MAC longtubes. I'm using them on my 66. They clear everything pretty well. I don't have PS but they advertise that they'll work with PS without a drop bracket for the ram.
Do you think they would fit AFR heads?

Chris

·
Registered
35,502 Posts
Shorties or cast HiPo's... which will both perform about the same....except the HiPo's won't leak, blow gaskets, loosen up, or add unneeded heat under the hood.

·
Registered
356 Posts

Thanks!
Rob
Why would a header require a different alternator? I can’t picture any clearance issue up front.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts