Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
35,532 Posts
Shorties or cast HiPo's... which will both perform about the same....except the HiPo's won't leak, blow gaskets, loosen up, or add unneeded heat under the hood.
When I first got my 66, I went with Casler long tubes. They fit perfectly, of course I don't have PS. I got tired of tightening the header flange bolts all the time, and the heat radiating from under the car, etcetera, so I went to the Ford dealer and bought HP manifolds. Never been sorry.

Funny thing, the Caslers fit perfectly, and the original Tri-Y's on Shelbys fit perfectly (I've worked with a few) back when this stuff was made practically by hand on fixtures. Nowadays, with all the whiz-bang computer technology, it's hard to find headers that don't need to be worked over with a hammer to fit. Strange.

·
Registered
20,925 Posts
4 speed Toploader and ground clearance is great. I'll have to get back with pictures later. I thought I had then handy.

·
Registered
1966 Mustang GT 4sp Nightmist Blue
367 Posts
Those are nice!!

What the bracket with the socket it in for?

Chris

·
Registered
20,925 Posts
Those are nice!!

What the bracket with the socket it in for?

Chris

LOL, that's the famous missing 10mm. What that's about is #5 tube slips in after the main body of the header is in. This feature makes installation immensely easier. That is the clamp to clamp the tube once in. I had the socket in the clamp just to open it up so I could easily place it. I forget to remove socket. It really is a 10mm socket too.

·
Registered
20,925 Posts
This is the best picture of the firewall area. Maybe it'll give you some idea for the clutch cable

Thanks for the pics btw! Do you have to retighten bolts ever??
Any header you're going to have loose bolts. I have a couple that need attention. I believe there is a lock it though.

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
173 Posts
None that I am aware. If you don’t want the bracket, and don’t have a reason (physically), I suggest removing the PS altogether. Then your options open up a bit. Doug’s makes a nice set of Tri-Y. FPA makes a really nice set. Otherwise, if you really don’t need headers, I would suggest a set of HiPo exhaust manifolds if you need or want to keep the PS.
I'm in the market for a set of headers for a 66 with a 289 that has power steering. Does anyone have suggestions for a set that doesn't require the power steering drop bracket? I saw some pretty olds posts on this topic but am wondering if there are any more recent recommendations.
I'm with Patrick Stapler on this one - the FPA long tube headers are the bomb. My car has power steering, power brakes, and A/C, so everything that could be in the way of headers is there. My FPA silver ceramic headers dropped right and fit perfectly. Even better, I can also remove each one separately (for access to something else) without having to remove any other part.

20190521_181035.jpg 20190623_194322.jpg 20190521_181050.jpg Headers Left.jpg

·
Registered
477 Posts
I'm with Patrick Stapler on this one - the FPA long tube headers are the bomb. My car has power steering, power brakes, and A/C, so everything that could be in the way of headers is there. My FPA silver ceramic headers dropped right and fit perfectly. Even better, I can also remove each one separately (for access to something else) without having to remove any other part.

View attachment 761326 View attachment 761316 View attachment 761327 View attachment 761329
Yikes, that engine is beautiful!

·
Registered
9,085 Posts
Thanks for the pics btw! Do you have to retighten bolts ever??
This is what we used at JBA back in the day. (hi collar lock washers)
If you have decently thick head flanges, (1/4"-up), they won't loosen.

·
Registered
283 Posts

View attachment 761326 View attachment 761316 View attachment 761327 View attachment 761329
Do you have a mini starter? FPA mentioned to me that the only thing I’d have to change was to swap to the smaller starter from newer Mustangs. Not sure if that is true for all 6566 cars or only ones with a T5.

Thanks,
Rob

·
Registered
1966 GT Fastback, 289, TKO 5-spd, EFI, 4-discs, TCP coilovers
173 Posts
Do you have a mini starter? FPA mentioned to me that the only thing I’d have to change was to swap to the smaller starter from newer Mustangs. Not sure if that is true for all 6566 cars or only ones with a T5.

Thanks,
Rob
Yes, that is recommended, and I did that. This car has a TKO trans, but a stock bell housing (so short input shaft on the trans). I would say this change would apply to all 65 / 66 cars with a 289 and the stock bell housing. The starter is the same, but the electrical connections are on the end of the starter, rather than the side, so nothing protrudes past the bell housing. It's just a small interference with the regular starter, but it makes a huge difference in the fitment. I can send you the reference to the starter I bought if you're planning this change.
New Starter 2 Adj.jpg

21 - 35 of 35 Posts