Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone purchased Tri-Y headers for their car. I'm rebuilding my 289 and looking for headers. Most of the mustang magazines sell Tri-y. What is everyone installing on their cars.They seem to be mid priced headers. ???

·
Registered
7,294 Posts
Yeah, they are pretty common and usually an easy install. Unless all hades breaks loose and I find something different, I'm probably putting a nice ceramic coated set on my car when I decide to tear into the motor.

·
Registered
222 Posts
If your car has a manual tranny you need to confirm the headers will fit with the factory equalizer bar or swap to a cable/hydraulic clutch.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
BaronVonAutomatic said:
If your car has a manual tranny you need to confirm the headers will fit with the factory equalizer bar or swap to a cable/hydraulic clutch.
I think most will clear a stock Eq. bar, but be doubly careful about cable clutch. Many headers are problematic with them.
Ask me how I know.
http://www.mediamax.com/ynned/Hosted/homer_simpson_doh.jpg
Later,
Dennis

·
Registered
1,674 Posts
Hi, I've got a stock 289 2V with a factory T-10. I installed non-ceramic Patriot tri-y's a few years ago. They work great with my motor. They cleared my equalizer bar with no problem. I suggest you use copper gaskets instead of the paper ones that come with the pipes. It's worth the the extra $ for no leaks. All in all it was an easy install. You can PM me with any specific questions.

I remember the following things from the install.
- I installed the headers from underneath the car.
- I removed the valve covers to get easier access to the bolts
- I had to remove the equalizer bar in order to install the left header.
- I had to remove the starter to install the right header. BUT the old starter wouldn't clear the header. So I had to switch to a hi-torque mini starter. You might want to budget an additional $75-$100 for one.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts