Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
FPA headers or shorties would be my suggestion. I have FPA - pricey but worth it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
THank you so much!

Borgeson recommended this: JBA Long Tube Headers 1-3/4" Stainless Steel For Use With Borgeson Power Steering Conversion Kit 351W 1965-1973 but the one review says it didn't fit. Do you have a Borgeson power steering box? ANd can you confirm the FPA does fit in a 69' 351w?
I have a 67 with a 351w and the FPA headers fit. If you reach out to Stan and tell him your setup he will make a set that will fit your application. They are pricey- I paid right at about $1000 a few years ago for coated headers but the quality is second to none. More than likely you will have to wait a couple of weeks for the build and send out for coating if you go that route but the wait is worth it.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have a 67 with a 351w and the FPA headers fit. If you reach out to Stan and tell him your setup he will make a set that will fit your application. They are pricey- I paid right at about $1000 a few years ago for coated headers but the quality is second to none. More than likely you will have to wait a couple of weeks for the build and send out for coating if you go that route but the wait is worth it.
Who is stan? $1000 is so worth it if its definitely going to work, I'm just skeptical because of much bad past experience. I'm gonna pay $500-$700 anyway.

When I had an old front suspension kit from the 70s in this car, no headers would fit so I had a guy modify the headers to fit and the exhaust was terrible.

·
Registered
1,212 Posts
Stan is the owner. When I got my FPA headers I called JBA beforehand and the tech told me they didn’t have anything that would work.

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
155 Posts
I'm looking at making this conversion on 1966 289 2V with stock manifolds. My question is do you have to cut the steering column shaft to remove the old gear box? I've seen something somewhere that the steering wheel shaft is directly attached to the steering gear box and you have to cut the shaft to get it out. The kit comes with a new shaft. Where did you purchase your kit?

·
Premium Member
13,723 Posts
You don't have to cut the shaft. The steering shaft is all one long piece but it will come out of the car without cutting.

·
Registered
4,217 Posts
The best tube headers are in the deepest part of your nearest lake. Thrown in there years ago by the wise, experienced folks who know the realities of those troublesome pieces of crap.
Believe me you will figure it out with time, turmoil and anger.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts