Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed a set of Central Coast Mustang's Tri-Y headers. The problem is that on the passenger side one of the tubes just hits the fender (actually the coil spring/shock housing.) These were installed in a '66 coupe with a 302. I was told that the headers were manufactured specifically for this application and have not called them yet (too late by the time I finished) but I don't think a new set will help.
Is there a way to raise the engine up 1/4" or so? I'm running all V-8 mounts which are new since this was a conversion.
I'm hoping I'm not the first person to have this problem.
Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
Hi,
Did you try loosening the motor mounts and shifting the motor over just a bit? I installed tri-y's and found a similar problem. I had loads of room on the driver side and just shifted the motor over. Clearance problem solved :)
Dave

·
Registered
4,209 Posts
I had the exact same problem when I installed Tri-Y's on the 302 in my 66. I used the Acme Header Persuation Tool (6' pry bar with chisle tip). Stuck that tip behind the offending tube, levered against a 2X4 on the inner fender, and reefed on it. I was able to bend the tube in just enough to give a little clearance. Put a very slight dent in the header tube, but not noticable.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts