Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been pondering with the tought of putting headers on my 66 Ford Inline 6 Cylinder engine. The reasons for this is that i always wanted a real nice loud muscle car sound. I was wondering how much of a loud noice would the motor make with the inline headers put in? And is there any other thing that i could do to get my car to make more noice? Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Mustang Mike.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I'm thinking that if you drill several 1/2" holes in your muffler it will be quite a bit louder. Other than that, I think the headers on that engine will give it a nice throaty sound. Keep in mind that the loudness is more a result of the mufflers than the headers. I had Thorleys on my old Dodge, but had Dynomax mufflers. It was a big performance gain, but not too loud. Do a search, just the other day, somebody here mentioned some mufflers at Pep Boys(Yeah, you heard right) there was even a sound bite included in the post. They sounded nice.

·
Registered
391 Posts
Ahhhh! I love the sound of a six cylinder with split manifold and glass packs. That is a sound just as unique as the sound of running the bolt to a 1911 Colt .45 caliber automatic. Everybody listens!

·
Premium Member
5,293 Posts
Add some headers for performance gain, and some upgraded mufflers for nice sound too. I have and recommend Dynomax Super Turbos. Not too loud or droney - a nice warm performance rumble ! DIckson

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
a six......

with glasspacks.....

EWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
I agree with Dickson. Headers for performance, mufflers for sound (although there's performance gains there, too). Don't expect to make it sound like a V8, though, just a nicer sounding I6.

Case in point: My Searay boat has a 4.6 litre V6 with a 4 barrel (that's a LARGE v6). Since we don't use exhausts on boats, it sounds pretty nice ... but it still doesn't sound as good as a v8.

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hey I totally agree, well at least the 45 Auto part don't know anything about split I6 headers.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts