Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning on changing my single exhaust to dual exhaust. the car is a 72 vert w/302,at,ps,.what should i go with? who should i go thru?should i go w/ shorty headers or full length?thanks for the advise. ::

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Search on headers and youll find this covered very recently.......I will say I didnt like the way heddman's ordinary hedders for windsors were made (the collectors angled inward!!)

As full length headers go, I liked the Dynomax windsor headers I almost installed.....dont know how they'd fit, but the attention to detail looked good.

·
Registered
5,066 Posts
shortys are usually easier to install, but the FLs should give slightly better lo-end torque, which might be important for a stock 302 moving a car of that size. Once you get a set of headers, head (hehe) for your friendly local muffler shop and they can set up a dual exh from there on back with the mufflers of your choice (now theres ANOTHER question! hehe).

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
thats the plan. i think ill go with flowmasters. but im open to suggestions. ::

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Randy, what are you doing with your motor- Rebuild or crate or nothing. If staying with a 302, go with 2 to 2 1/4 inch exhaust with X pipe to dynomax super turbo's. Much $ less than flowmasters, Most say they flow better than flowmasters (who knows). Headers ??? I have the JBA shorties and I like them quite well, but they're expensive. ::
If your'e changing motors that maybe changes a lot of things.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey alan were do i find those mufflers do i have to go mail order or is there a local source.im sticking w/ the 302 for now.

·
Premium Member
3,428 Posts
Just off 84th & L NW Corner-- House of mufflers & brakes; good people there. They also have flowmasters.

G

·
I have Heddman Elite Hedders on my 302. They are a bit more expensive than other headers for street applications, but I think they look great! They do dip down quite a bit though, you can see the header collector if youre looking at my car from the side. I think it's actually kinda cool, but I have a '69, wether you'd be able to see them on your '72 i dont know. Great headers anyway :)

·
Registered
709 Posts
I'll tell you my experience with the holley flowtech's. They have good clearance around everything in a '66, not even the steering hits, they even fit beside an AOD transmission. I opted for the ceramic coating and that was my only complaint. It only lasted a few hundred miles before rust came through and is now no better looking than a set of painted headers.
-Brian

G

·
I can tell you my son and I had great success with Thorley headers coupled to a full Flowmaster system. Both were purchased through Summit Racing and fit like a glove. The Flowmaster system was a steal. Thorleys are a bit pricy but are great quality. My son has roughly 5000 miles on them and the chrome is still shiny.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hi alan i would like to go with hedmans but they dont seem to have a shorty version of the elite.were did you get your jba's.summit does'nt list them for ford and hp motorsport wants $454.00 for a set a little pricey but i may have to go with them anyway, i really want shortys. :)

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
well i just ordered my hedman elite headers from jegs.one decision down now i have to decide on mufflers ;)

·
Registered
122 Posts
i bought and excellent set of nickel plated chrome headers from fordpowertrain.com they make them custom for your car and dont flake like some ceramic coated ones ive had in the past, and they were actually cheaper than most other brands. they look great on the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts