Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys i got a 72 v8 302 what are some headers that around 100-140 bucks that will give me good performance and are there any that will kinda change the sound any i have dual exhaust with flowmaster 40 series mufflers??

G

·
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
i personally like the hooker competition headers, affordably priced at 139.99 at summit or jegs...or, go one up and buy the hooker super competition headers for a bit more(219.99, i think). either way, when you step on the gas, it sounds like the end of the world is coming! that's what i love about mine!

College Station, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When it comes to cheap headers, Hedman's are only about $100. They have a lifetime warranty as well. Headers will make your car louder from inside, but won't do much to the overall exhaust note if that is all you change.

-Brian

66restomod's Home Page
[color:red]Updated: 4/13/2001</font color=red>
"In preparing for battle I have always found that plans are useless, but planning is indispensable."-Eisenhower

G

·
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
well should i get a cam or headers or both lol will the headers make a diference in hp i have some old blackjack 3000 headers they are old dynomax ones will the hookers be better than them???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
performance wise, i believe that the gain in HP will be marginal, but ANYTHING other than the stock manifolds will make a huge impact on performance, IMHO. if you feel like stabbing in a new cam at the same time, go for it! i think that you'll definitely feel the performance gain in the seat of your pants.

College Station, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
well i just put on a performer intake holley 600cfm carb and the engine blew so i am going to get it rebuilt and i want to put that edelbrock cam in and some good headers like the hookers so i never really got to feel the diference by putting any of those things on so with all this stuff will i feel a diference what will i feel lol???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
if you stab in that edelbrock cam to go along with all those other performance mods that you've already done, i expect that you'll be surprised by the gain in HP and torque...cams are like the heart of an engine...they make a huge difference

College Station, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
will those headers or cam give any sort of a diferent tone though like when i punch it so with all of this stuff ill prolly gain about what 40 horses or 50 maybe even????

G

·
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
yes...you will notice a slightly different sound, but you can expect to gain about 40-50 horses from changing cam and headers

College Station, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
also are headers weleded on or are they bolted on also if i get those hookers is there anything i can do to make them not look so burnt up and stuff will a high temp. engine paint do anything???

G

·
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
these headers bolt up to the cylinder heads, and if you get the comp headers, then they should bolt up to the exhaust pipes as well. There is an option from hooker that allows you to get them ceramic coated; however, the price gets marked up to 359.99

College Station, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
the cam alone plays a great part...you should call up crane or edelbrock and see how much of a lift you can get without changing your valvetrain components...but horsepower gains in that area can be realized

College Station, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i believe that they will...mine went on without any modifications, but the owner had converted to dual exhaust by that time, so i can't really say.

College Station, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
so there isnt any way to make these headers not look burnt up or anything i mean i dont need chrome but i hate that stupid brown rusty look after like a min. of firing the engine up for the first time

G

·
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
shop around town at your local machine shops and see if they don't offer this service...mine came black, and they still look that way today(2 years)

College Station, TX

G

·
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
they do make paint for exhaust manifolds. i imagine that they would also work on headders. wouldnt know though, i have that rusty look u hate so much =) hehe.

Corpus Christi TX

·
Registered
51 Posts
If you are looking for cheap header the dyno max and hedman fit that category but they are exacty that Cheap $100. Don't bother getting them coated, the coating would cost more then the headers. If you want middle of the road go with the hooker comp headers $150. They are a good header and worth coating, but don't fit as well as super comps. The best option is the hooker super comps. they are far more expensive then the comp headers but are made of thicker material and will last for a very long time. If you get them coated they will stary pretty and last a long time. They are about $300 Plus another $300 to have ceramic coated. They are well worth the $600. There are also other options with some of the less well known custom header companies but they are really more competion oriented and very expensive.

As a side note- I would recommend not buying the header already coated. I would get the headers and test fit them to make sure they do not need to be "adjusted", make any adjustments and then send them out to have them coated. Nothing is worse then having to hit your pretty coated headers with a hammer to make it fit.

There is not a paint made that will not eventually come off a header, if you want it to look good it needs to be coated

later
chip
sorry it is so long but it has all the answeres???

1 - 19 of 19 Posts