Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
458 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just pulled the factory exhaust man. from my 65 289 2V.
I am putting a 4v intake "stock" and a 4v carb.
My questions: Headers and what brand for durability and performance. What brand and CFM of carb? Lastly is there a
better manifold on the market. This car is a sunday driver.

·
Registered
315 Posts
I run a holley 600 cfm with vacuum secondaries and Hedman long tube headers. I wouldnt go any bigger that a 600 cfm if your keeping it semi stock. I have a mild 302 and it works nicely. The prob with Hedman and Hooker is ground clearance, I have only 3". For a sunday driver this shouldnt be a prob.

Alot of people on this forum recommend Ford Powertrain headers, I have never used them but apparantly they are pretty good, and the ground clearance isnt an issue (not certain).
http://www.fordpowertrain.com/

Oh and last but not least pay the extra money to get it jet coated, i didnt on mine, i just painted it and they look horrible already. And its only been 8 months on the car. But it is a daily driver...

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
Lotta headers available for SBF. I will say I wasnt impressed with hedman's SBF hedders; the collectors angle inward, so making a homemade exhaust is a little more trouble. They also seemed to go under the tranny pan (no thank you!!)

Most aftermarket intakes are considerably better than stock 4bbl intakes.

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The best I've seen yet for fitment on a '65/'66 (or '67-'70 for that matter) is the Hooker Comps. The hooker Super Comps probably run a close second, but you'll gain more ground clearance with the regular comps, because they tuck closer to the floor pans.

For a stock to mild 289/302, I'd highly recommend the Edelbrock Performer intake. The weight difference alone is justification for the $110 or so you'll spend on the intake.

I agree with the previous poster about forking out the extra $ for ceramic coating. It is WELL worth the money!

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
MustangSteve,

How do the Hooker SuperComps fit on a 65 289 with factory 4 speed?

Thanks for your time,
John Thomas

·
Registered
1,567 Posts
Yes, they fit quite well, but I can assure you the clutch linkage Z-bar will test your patience!!! Once on, they clear everything, and give excellent starter clearance. On the car that I put them on with a toploader, the car was later converted to T5 with no problems, but the original clutch linkage was also reused. (I will NEVER do THAT again!!!) :p

·
Registered
1,165 Posts
Do you know if the Hooker Comps fit the same as the Super Comps?

Thanks again,
John Thomas

1 - 9 of 9 Posts