Vintage Mustang Forums banner

21 - 40 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
989 Posts
Depending on compression but I say maybe 250RWHP.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #24

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
OK, as everyone suggested I bet the farm and lost, so beers are on me if your ever in MA but boy, was that fun. Peak HP was WAAAAY under 350. Peak was 205 HP and 233 Ft/lbs to the rear wheels. Not really dissapointed since now this car is still a blast to drive around town.

The page 1 of the pull sheet below shows baselne and final pull Page 2 shows all the pulls.

Baseline was 192/221. After fiddling with the carb we got 205/233.

Pull 1&2 were baseline pulls
Pull 3: put dizzy on full manifold vacuum and changed from 60 to 63 jet.
Pull 4: looked at secondary vacuum spring and saw it had a black one (stiffest). The vacuum secondaries were opening really slowly. Kind of giving me a 2.5 barrel carb. Put a white spring in and did pull
Pull 5: drilled out the #3 metering plate 0.002 to 0.062
Pull 6: swapped 31for a 28 squirter
Pull 7: Put purple secondary vacuum spring in
Pull 8: added 2 degrees of timing from 10' to 12'

Pretty cool experience. We spent a total of 4.5 hours fiddling with things. Talking a lot about why he did what he did. Learned a lot from the guy. Car was fun to begin with but now It's a blast. And I know where to shift for a real kick in the pants!........wonder what a HiPo cam would do! Maybe that and coilovers for next year.
Not sure I can answer them but I can take a stab at any questions people have.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
989 Posts
Cool. Just think though these cars but down like 140-150RWHP stock so you have bumped it up quite a bit. Do you know your compression? I think the cam is pretty small too but pretty sure it is very smooth idling/driving. Any mods to the exhaust? The graph I assume that the final numbers where closer to the 12.5 AFR since it appears some of them where lean which I assume was the beginning of tuning. And do you know your total timing?

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Cool. Just think though these cars but down like 140-150RWHP stock so you have bumped it up quite a bit. Do you know your compression? I think the cam is pretty small too but pretty sure it is very smooth idling/driving. Any mods to the exhaust? The graph I assume that the final numbers where closer to the 12.5 AFR since it appears some of them where lean which I assume was the beginning of tuning. And do you know your total timing?
Not sure on the compression. Probably not very high given the 60 cc chambers. and yes that cam is very mild. i asked the builder for one that idled great and had some nice pep around town.

As for exhaust, Sanderson shorty headers with Waldrons stock 66 GT exhaust, mufflers and resonators. So maybe hotter cam, better heads with smaller chambers and slightly larger exhaust and I could squeeze a bit more, but this is enough fun for me. Maybe that will be Stage 2.

Total timing was 32' all in at 3000 rpm. Which makes me think, if initial was 12' and Dan at Mustang Barn said total mechanical should be 28 (he wasn't completely sure what he set my dizzy to), shouldn't i be somewhere up around 40'?

·
Registered
958 Posts
Dynos are great for tuning engines but who tunes the dynos?

Many dyno operators won’t claim maximum HP accuracy.
Only that their dynos are for tuning.
So, you did some tuning and gained some HP.

Mission accomplished!

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Dynos are great for tuning engines but who tunes the dynos?

Many dyno operators won’t claim maximum HP accuracy.
Only that their dynos are for tuning.
So, you did some tuning and gained some HP.

Mission accomplished!
He actually alluded to that. He told me to pay more attention to the torque curve and the A/F ratio graph. But your right, we did some tuning and gains some power, and I learned a ton.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang Convertible
989 Posts
Total timing was 32' all in at 3000 rpm. Which makes me think, if initial was 12' and Dan at Mustang Barn said total mechanical should be 28 (he wasn't completely sure what he set my dizzy to), shouldn't i be somewhere up around 40'?
I bought a used recurved stock distributor and saw the same. Said 24deg of mechanical advance so 12 initial should have given me 36 but when I was tuning it it was only doing 20deg of total mechanical advance by 3k RPM. I went up to 3500 and 4000 RPM and no change from 32deg total. So I changed my initial to 16 and have been listening for pinging and none so far and it does show 36deg by 3k.

·
Registered
5,481 Posts
A good time had by all!
Smiles per hour is the ultimate gauge. Did you try the carb swaps? I wish I would have thought to tell you to download one of those Drag ET/MPH phone apps then compare before/after.

I should do mine just to show how such little HP from a wearing out engine can seem impressive :)
Im figuring you are only around 8.5 CR, maybe less, about like 1980s and power to match. Your heads will surely handle a lot more of a cam just beware bigger cams want higher compression.

·
Registered
3,824 Posts
Have your heads been ported? Most flow numbers I have found for those heads have the exhaust at 158+/-. 198 gets up close to the AFR165. Certainly a bigger cam would wake the engine up.

It's awesome that you were able to pick up some good HP with the tune. I wish I had that opportunity.(y)

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Maybe I misunderstood, but did you make any timing adjustments on the dyno?
Yes we did. I had originally set the timing to 10' based on vacuum settings and pull 1-7 had those settings. After checking the mechanical cure settings at different rpms, we added 2 more degrees and did pull #8.

It seemed to run great on the highway heading home yesterday. I'll drive it around town over the next few days and see what I think. If it seems good I won't mess with it.

·
Registered
9,322 Posts
I think your HP/TQ numbers are pretty good.
Not being a split pattern cam probably hurt you a bit. I don't have a valid comparison to post as mine has a C6 trans but like I said, your numbers are pretty good.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Thanks GT289. I think im done with it for now. Time to enjoy it as much as possible. At some point it will need a repaint and when I pull it apart maybe I'll swap a different cam and better heads in it.

·
Registered
426 Posts
Dyno testing is usually always disappointing in terms of what your expectations are for numbers compared to reality. That being said a chassis or engine dyno and tuning are pretty fun to watch and listen to.

21 - 40 of 44 Posts