Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The headlight baskets on my 66 coupe have are broken where the grill would attach. The corner of the hole is gone. Any ideas on how to "fix" it without having to replace them. They are in good shape except for that.

Dale

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
The headlight "buckets" are made from pot metal. It's not easily repaired by means such as welding. You're not alone with this problem. Most of these old buckets have cracks/missing pieces. They weren't designed to last 20 years, nevermind 40. You can search eBay for a nice set, but be careful, cracks are very common. NPD and other vendors sell new ones that are (IIRC) reasonably priced.

Good Luck!

Dave

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I knew I was typing it wrong when I put "baskets" but I figured you all would help me out :p I noticed it was some sort of soft metal and figured I would have to replace them. I'll prolly go with new ones. Do the repros fit pretty well?

Dale

G

·
The repos seem to be ok. I read in my latest mag that they now have a repair kit if they have the usual crack. I cant remember if its mm or the other one. Forget about any kind of welding or repair it just doesnt work.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts