Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I don't get to see alot of NJ cars thought I would post for others to compare to what they might have seen.

San Jose used spray as did Dearborn in an effort to blackout the painted area around and behind the inner headlight. Since I found more than one it appears that this was a practice at least for a time. (This yard tends to get more back east cars due to its location and customer base)

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/photopost486/showphoto.php?photo=1990

http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/forums/photopost486/showphoto.php?photo=1989

Found these while out digging for marks and details at one of my favorite yards. No better way to spend a day ::

·
Registered
21 Posts
I think i have some old headlight buckets with similar treatment in that area area.

·
Registered
771 Posts
Chris Many (aka "manyc") sent me a similar picture some time ago when I was working on my first 69 Mach 1. My car was a Metuchen car also.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
I have 3 Meteuchen cars and parts from a 4th. They all have received brush on blackout paint treatment just like your pictures. Though they all have a lot more of it. My cars were built mid-April to early May 1969. I can send you some pics for your collection if interested.

·
Registered
2,169 Posts
My examples all seem to be be on the flat side of semi-flat black. The actual paint is specified in the 1969 Mustang Body Assembly manual. Its the same black-out paint as the rockers I believe. The last car I did I used Krylon 1613, but since I use bc/cc systems I'll probably use just black base without clear to avoid incompatibility issues. A word of warning: If you want to have a REAL bad day use rustoleum over your paint.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the response and Yes I collect everything... always include some reference as to plant, year and time period. VIN works well but some don't like using that.

Application is interesting for these items but they seem to follow the practices of NJ using paint brushes where other plants used spray - Other examples (other years) have been firewall to engine compartment paint break and pinch welds

1 - 9 of 9 Posts