Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I use sealed beam halogen headlights in my 67 coupe, will I need to add a headlight relay. Just bought some Wagner H6024 headlights and was wondering before I install. Coupe has original wiring

·
Registered
980 Posts
You don’t have to but it’s better if you do. I run the sylvania version of the same lights without a relay and it works ok but I have a feeling the lights would be a lot brighter without running the load through the headlight switch and use the relays.

·
Just some guy
67 coupe, 69 Sportsroof, 86 hatchback
21,371 Posts
Years ago I had problems with a dead stock headlight system going in and out. Technically halogens shouldn't really overpower the wiring and switch but since the originals can..a relay kit is about always a good idea. Unless you have a show car that needs to stay original. People have noted that with just adding a relay kit by itself their headlights were a little brighter too. Win-win. While you're in there make sure you remove, clean, and re-tighten any ground wires related to the front lights too.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
Your favorite Mustang parts vendor probably has a kit. Or, you can search threads here and make one for yourself. Easily done.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts
You might get away with it for a while, but you'll need one eventually.

·
Premium Member
6,062 Posts
You might get away with it for a while, but you'll need one eventually.
@Gary's 67 I've been running the same pair of Sylvania halogen H6024s in MyFirstCar since 1992. I only replaced the original headlight switch in 1999 because the dimmer dial came apart. They're brighter than stock (MyFirstCar had the original bulbs in it when I got it) and I see well, but I'm considering adding LED headlight bulbs in a vintage-looking housing for the classic look and the modern light color with A LOT less draw on the electrical system without having to use relays.

·
Premium Member
7,405 Posts
Your favorite Mustang parts vendor probably has a kit. Or, you can search threads here and make one for yourself. Easily done.
Ron Francis has kits. However, it's just knowing the schematic and adding Bosch Relays. I did this a number of years ago, if only, to take the "heat" off my OEM headlight switch.

·
Registered
10,322 Posts

·
Registered
2,179 Posts
Don't standard halogen headlights actually run fewer watts than incandescent headlights? I thought that was one of the advantages of halogen. Makes more light with fewer watts. Don't see how halogen headlights can "overpower" anything.

·
Registered
1,556 Posts
NPD has two plug-in harnesses:

·
Registered
168 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks for the replies and especially the wiring diagram. After doing some searching online, the relays are very obtainable, I just need to get some high quality ones especially since they are controlling the headlights and rated for at least 30 amps preferably 40. Cruising down the road at night and the headlights go out-all of a sudden don’t sound like fun. I’m assuming the circuit breaker needs to be a self resettable type if something does go wrong. I myself am curious about the amp draw on a standard sealed beam and the halogen sealed beam. I’m going to set up both and will test the amp draw and post the results. Of course if you use the relay system, the voltage should be higher since you are cutting out the resistance of the wire and the dimmer and headlight switch, which in turn would lower the amp draw with whatever headlight you use. Since amperage = voltage divided by resistance, I’m going to ohm out each bulb type and compare, then do a amp draw test on each. With just a 12 v system, doesn’t take too much resistance to really increase amperage. Thanks again!

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
I purchased mine from Daniel Stern. Quality parts at a higher price than the cheap junk. Also bought my bulbs from him based on his recommendation. Had a set of lenses and he said they were very good and not to replace them. Super happy with the night vision now!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts