Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Bone stock '65 289. Recently replaced headlight switch.

Last night noticed a right side low beam burned out headlight. Happened to have a new halogen headlight from another life in the garage. Installed it and it works fine. FWIW, I do very very little night driving.

So then, my question: Will any harm be done by driving with one halogen and one whatever came in the car? As always, thanks in advance.

Chuck

·
Registered
821 Posts
Halogen lights require more amps, more than the system was designed for- switch, wiring and connectors. It won't do it any good.

·
Registered
35,869 Posts
Halogen lights require more amps, more than the system was designed for- switch, wiring and connectors. It won't do it any good.
Nope.

GE 6014 (PAR56 Incandescent, standard filament) = 60 Watts
Sylvania H6024 2D1 Silverstar (PAR56 Halogen) = 55 Watts

The "beauty" of halogen bulbs is their ability to produce MORE lumens from the same (or less, in this case) power.

·
Registered
383 Posts
It will not hurt a thing. Might look stupid going down the road at night but it won't hurt a thing. Automotive lights are designed to last a certain number of hours and then burnout. No money in making bulbs that last forever. I learned a long time ago to replace the lights at the same time. As a feet mechanic I'd get a repair ticket for a burned out headlight or taillight. I'd replace the one light and within a week and one time it was only one day, the opposite light burned out. You might as well replace them both while you have the screwdriver out.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Nope.

GE 6014 (PAR56 Incandescent, standard filament) = 60 Watts
Sylvania H6024 2D1 Silverstar (PAR56 Halogen) = 55 Watts

The "beauty" of halogen bulbs is their ability to produce MORE lumens from the same (or less, in this case) power.
On my "four eyes" model they are 5-3/4 diameter PAR46s, with 35w outboard and 50w inboard. Got a halogen with more lumens and less amps for this old girl Woodchuck? I'd be interested.

·
Registered
1967 Mustang GT fastback
4,019 Posts
A very good source of info on bulbs, lumens, etc is this link to a page from Daniel Stern's website:
Daniel Stern Lighting Consultancy and Supply
Just to repeat a well known rule, never touch a halogen bulb with your skin. If you do, clean with alcohol or it'll burn out quickly, usually just when you need it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts