Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the DIY headlight relays and they came out great.If i had some batterys for my digicam then i would snap some shots but anyways. I soldered the connections with a rosin core based solder. I heatshrinked the connections and put electrical tape on it. now tonight i turned off the car so it was quiet and then the lights. There was a clicking nosie so i got my borther out and he worked the switch and i was under the hood and its a click but no signs of shorts or anything. btw i used 14 gauge wire for the connections and 10 gauge w/ a 20 amp fuse for the power. is clicking normal? BTW is there a cleaner way to connect wires to the battery or starter selinod? I have a msd,electric fan, sub, and now the relays. on the starter seliniod there is the vert top,starter,and battery. its pretty full.

·
Premium Member
11,701 Posts
It is normal for the relays to make a bit of noise. They are magnetic switches, afterall. When you activate them they slam the main switch shut with pretty good force, which is what you are hearing.

If they are loud then the relays might be a bit hefty for the job, but I would not be overly concerned about it.

·
Registered
1,041 Posts
I run 1 wire . of 4 gauge to the terminal on the solenoid, and it either to a fuse box or distribution box. I also put a BIG fuse about 6 inches from the solenoid, as the "Just in Case"... in case the big 4 gauge wire shorts somewhere.

The relays will make ONE click sound when you engage them. And then when you disengage (slightly quieter on the disengage). Is it a "repeating sound", like 3 or 4 clicks per second, for a period of time, or just the ONE big click on engage/disengage?

Again, if its one big click, and your lights work, thats normal.

If its multi clicks, then I'd say your ground is loose, or maybe the relay is bad (slim chance).

PS. partsexpress.com is where I get my relays for cheap FYI.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
yah it's only on click for a on and off.

·
Registered
6,782 Posts
I added an 8 element fuse block (and 4 relays) to my car for just your reasons. half of them are always hot, and the other half are ignition keyed hot (through a relay). The fuses are:
hot bus
1. Horn circuit (Grant wheel certainly can't take the 20 amps from the horns, so I installed a relay for the horn)
2. high beam lamps
3. low beam lamps
4. switched relay hot side

Switched bus:
5. Electric fan
6. accessories (radio, etc)
7. electric fuel pump
8. electric fan

I picked up my fuse block at a marine store. All brass construction. All 8 circuits were bussed via a large brass bar. I simply cut it in half (lengthwise) to isolate them.

I also installed a 100 amp circuit breaker for my stereo amplifiers...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts