Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install a set or one relay in my 65, I've gone to H4 bulbs and the light just don't want to stay on for a long time, so I figure the relay is the way to go. Does anyone know where to find the wiring diagram for the relay?
Thanks,
Jeff

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
You can make it yourself with the info found here, or you can buy it complete from Painless Wiring. I opted for the Painless route.

You will find all kinds of neat stuff on James W's site as well.

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Thanks for the plug Kent.

The relays are definately the way to go if you're using Halogens or Xenons... figure you'll want a third one for that cooling fan too..so plan for a good space! When I redid my wiring this winter and hid all the wiring under the fender, I put the relays behind the passentger headlight bucket....

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
I like the idea of putting the relays behind the headlight bucket. I still need to clean up the wiring in my engine compartment.

When I moved the battery to the trunk it left a nice spot for all the relays, but it's not particularly pretty yet. I was thinking of making a plate to cover all of them up, but moving them behind the buckets may work out better.

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
I had the same problem in my daughter's 68. I was told that the same year Cougar switch had a higher amp rating and would thus tolerate the Halogen pull. We installed the Cougar switch and the problem disappeared.

·
Registered
242 Posts
The problem is not in the switch, it is in the long thin wires that carry the voltage from the switch to the headlights. I just installed the relays last week and it was a pretty straight forward install.
http://home.gci.net/~bronco78/relay/
http://lighting.mbz.org/tech/how_to/relays/
These two sites are ones I used as reference for my install. I took the info there and figured out the wiring for my particular car and put it all in. Time involved including dressing up the wiring and making an extra trip back to the parts house was about three hours.

I can really tell a difference in the brightness of my headlights now

·
Registered
3,960 Posts
Speaking of H4's...I'd like to get a set for my 69 but I understand that they are smaller than the normal size....

I would like to get some though any leads?
I'm thinking of running PIAA platinum whites on these....
(I can see it now....4guage wire feed cables and mega relays!!!)

·
Registered
647 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Art,
Thanks for the reply, and the number confused the NAPA store by me...but they are checking into it for me.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts