Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving tonight (1st evening drive in the stang) when I realized the headlights went out. Approx 10 secondes after I realized, they came back on! This happened several times until I finally made it home. I do not have any interrior lights hoked up yet so I couldn't see if they were going off or not. anyone experience this before?

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Your circut breaker in your head light switch is tripping. It may be old or halogen bulbs may also cause this. A switch for a cougar may help

·
Registered
455 Posts
Hi, This symtom usualy requires the replacement of the headlamp switch.

·
Registered
282 Posts
I'd concur with the other two posts about the switch needing replacing. You might also want to check the dimmer switch by your left foot. Sometimes they go bad as well.
If you're using the newer type of headlamps, sometimes they draw more power and cause the breaker in the switch to cycle on and off.
Good luck.

·
Premium Member
11,702 Posts
If a new switch does not solve your problem you may want to look at the headlight relay kit (#30815) from Painless Wiring. This is what I used in my fastback and will use on any future ponies I aquire.

Installation is a snap. No splicing or cutting required.

G

·
0 Posts
When it happened to me, I checked all the things the others said to check, and I still couldn't find the cause.

After long searching, I finally discovered it was the pigtail that plugs into the dimmer switch, not the switch itself. Was shorting out inside the molded rubber housing. Replaced the pigtail, and lights work fine now.

Not that the others aren't right; those things could be the cause of your problem. But maybe not. 40 years of wear and tear and bouncing around and just general aging of parts makes strange things happen in strange places.

·
Registered
576 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks guys. I'll start banging out all those ideas. Hopefully I get it right the first time around!

·
Registered
1,700 Posts
I had the same problem about 2 months ago, a new headlight switch cured it for me. good luck.

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
you have an overloaded light circuit or defective headlight switch. if you have added fancy lights you are probably overloaded and if you haven't then probably your switch cicuit breaker is defective. it is a bi-mettalic type switch that heats up , opens, closes up and heats up again cyclically. you can confirm this by turning off noisemakers and placing your ear near dash wher headlight switch is located and hearing clicking sound.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts