Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, this is probably obvious to somebody with more knowledge about the headlamp wiring set up than myself. Basically, as I went from side lights to headlights everything was good for a second and then both headlights just went out. The side lights still work fine but there is no response from the headlights or footswitch. Is this most likely a problem with the footswitch, earthing or something else? And what should I check?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
13,228 Posts
Do the headlights go off for a few seconds and then come back on and continue that cycle? If so, the CB inside your headlight switch is being overloaded and it's doing it's job. If they go off and stay off then perhaps that internal CB is weak and the switch needs to be replaced.

·
Registered
3,081 Posts
first thing i would replace is the dimmer switch. taht one seems to fail more easily than the headlight switch. however both switches are inexpensive so you can replace both fo them if you like. when replacing the headlight switch, get one from a 69 mustang as it has the four headlight system and thus us designed to handle a bit more current, yet it swaps in place nicely.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Do the headlights go off for a few seconds and then come back on and continue that cycle? If so, the CB inside your headlight switch is being overloaded and it's doing it's job. If they go off and stay off then perhaps that internal CB is weak and the switch needs to be replaced.
They have gone off and stayed off ever since so sounds like its probably the switch I guess.

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
I once had my switch go out on me and cause the same problem. It was during a 3 hour road trip at night - no headlights. Oddly enough, I didn’t get pulled over once. I should probably also leave a disclaimer that you shouldn’t do this because it is unsafe and I’m (not) a trained professional.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts