Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For some reason my headlights have been turning off while I am driving. I'll just be driving on the freeway and then suddenly the headlights turn off for like 10 seconds and then come back on. Even when the car is idling the lights will turn on and off. I was looking forward to driving my car to prom on saturday but if I can get this fixed my parents wont let me. Any help will be much apreciated.

1965 Fireball Red Coupe
302 600cfm Holley w/ Weiand Stealth Intake

·
Registered
222 Posts
I've read that the actual switch in the mustang is faulty. If its the original it needs to be replaced with a new aftermarket piece. Resistance is not what it used to be. Even running new halogen headlights can cause the old switch to overheat. When it cools down the lights go back on. Try your local aftermarket parts depot and get a new switch

·
Registered
786 Posts
I endorse the headlamp switch in the dash is bad. Replace it. Got mine from Autozone - seems like it was under $15. The switch has a built-in circuit breaker - and that's what's tripping out. They get old and do that. (been there, done that)

Good luck at the prom.

Tom

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Like everyone else said, it's the switch. I had the same problem with my 67. Changed the switch and it hasn't happened since.

Bryan
Stang6767

·
Registered
2,515 Posts
Agree--it's the headlight switch. Just changed mine for same problem. I bought mine at Autozone too. Be advised though that Autozone sells two different ones. The only difference is the front part for mounting to the dash. Recommend you remove yours first and take it in to match it up. Unfortunately, I guessed wrong when choosing between the two. I had to go back to the store and exchange it for the correct one after I pulled the old one out and realized it was different.

Rich
1966 GT convertible

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
What the h*ll is a "prom"?
I know its like a high school dance, right?
But where is the word" prom" from?

If in doubt give it a clout
If at first you don't succeed , find a bigger hammer
http://albums.photopoint.com/j/view?u=1584152&a=12055089&p=43600042.jpg

·
Premium Member
19,191 Posts
A promenade is sort of a parade...pomp and circumstance...

http://clubs.hemmings.com/baymustang/platesmall.jpgLet me check your shorts! My multimeter is just a-waiting! Formerly known as Midlife in the old VMF.
King of the Old Farts *struts*

G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a lot guys! I dunno where i'd be without the internet and this board. Well, actually, i'd be stuck driving my brothers 95 z28 convertible to prom. Whew, thank god you guys told me how to fix those headlights, if i didnt get that fixed i'd be stuck with the chevy! hehehe. Thanks again guys!!!!!

1965 Fireball Red Coupe
302 600cfm Holley w/ Weiand Stealth Intake

1 - 9 of 9 Posts