Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Car should be painted this or next week. We are then going to put in the headliner and dashpad in order for the body guy to install the glass. I am looking to find out what adhesive to use for the headliner pad which is the insulation. I do believe that this actually gets glued to the roof before the headliner is put in. Also, recommendations or suggestions for installing the headliner and dashpad which will make it easier on me would be great. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
337 Posts
Not to high jack the thread but does the front glass and rear glass have to be out to replace the headliner? My car is in the body shop also and the front window is getting replaced. Thanks, Kerry

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Yes the glass should be out, the headliner glues to the window channel

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
crap...forgot about the retaining metal clips and springs.....going to have to locate those before the weekend.....also going to have to check my old pictures to see where everything goes. Does anyone have detailed pictures showing all the clips and stuff in place that should be there before the headliner goes in? Thanks for that link...seems to be very helpful, although the first link labeled good post is not working. Thanks.

·
Registered
10,775 Posts
Agree that both glass needs to be out to install headliner. Dash pad normally doesn't get installed until after glass.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Jon,

The dash doesn't go in until after the windshield. I suppose you could lay the dash pad in place, but it can't get permanently installed until after the windshield is installed. The forward edge of the pad is pinched between the two metal dash pad trim pieces and the installed windshields rubber weatherstrip.

Did you lose my email? I know this is "your" car, but I kinda sorta thought (in a small way) that it was "mine" also... ;)

Anyway,

The only pieces required for the headliner installation are the three bows and you should have two rear bow retainers (sort of like 6" long Xmas tree ornament hooks) that will connect the rear bow to the channel just forward of the back glass pinchweld.

For installing the headliner, your best friend is patience. It's not hard, it's more "tedious". I use BullDog office clips to temporarily hold the liner in place while I'm pulling, stretching and working the wrinkles out. Pay attention to the three seams of the bows... keep these straight all of the way across. After the headliner is in and looks perfect, spray a misting of water onto it using an old Windex bottle and pull it tighter still. Spray or apply with applicator the headliner glue onto the outside edge of the pinchweld and the matching headliner area. Pull it back tight and use the old pinch on windlace to hold the liner in place while the glue dries. Cut your old windlace into 4-5" lengths for this as you'll want to work on small areas at a time. This should all be done while the headliner is still "wet" from the previous misting.

After you've gone all the way around the headliner applying the glue and pinch on windlace, go steal your wifes blow drier and using moderate heat, dry the liner. You should be able to "rap" or "zing" your finger on any section of the headliner and get a nice, tight feel and resonating sound from the taut headliner. The corners around the A pillar and C pillar are usually the time consuming areas as it seems you have to pull the material in about 6 different directions at once to get the wrinkles out.

Let it dry for a day or two and then it should be stuck enough to remove all of the old windlace pieces and install the front and rear glass. I don't remove the windlace until I'm seconds away from installing the glass though to ensure the glue holds, remember that the liner is stretched TIGHT.

Lastly, but not of less importance, DO NOT INSTALL the headliner until you have placed new/old screws into ALL of the holes that you'll need to install your rearview mirror, visors, coat hooks, FB rear upper panels... these holes can be found if you forget to install the screws, but it's NOT fun. To remove the screws after the liner is installed, locate each screw with your fingertip and make a small cut with a razor blade to remove the old screw. Make double sure that you're feeling a screw and not something else before you make the incision.

If you have any questions, you know how to get ahold of me...

Dave

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
Why exactly does the dash pad go in after the windshield? Those four screws that go along the edge of the pad under the trim pieces, they seem as if they would be a heck of a lot easier to install before.

·
Registered
4,971 Posts
Because the metal trim pieces "squish" the forward lip of the dashpad to the inner edge of the windshields rubber weatherstrip. One edge of the metal trim will be resting on the rubber weatherstrip, the other edge will be holding down the dashpad. The dash pad can be laid in place prior to installing the windshield, but it can't be final installed until after the glass is in.

Dave

·
Registered
4,897 Posts
That makes more sense, Thanks

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
cmayna said:
Agree that both glass needs to be out to install headliner. Dash pad normally doesn't get installed until after glass.
Just for clarification ... both front/rear glass should be out for the headliner installation on all '68/prior cars. Only the back glass should be out on all '69/later cars, as the headliner does not wrap around the window channel in the front.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Thanks for the info guys.

Dave,

For sure it is "our" car. Not to worry, I didn't lose your email, just thought of this last night and wanted to post it. I can tell you this, your help has been so good and much appreciated, that when the car is done and in shows, I am making a board as a display with Gone in 60 seconds theme on it. On that board, there will be information such as "bodywork done by...", "Engine done by..."...etc. I am going to add a line that has a "special thanks to Dave for all the help and information". For those of you who have not talked with dave or know him well, he is a very knowledgeable and invaluable member of this forum and others. Of course, I thought I would also give you a break for a few since I have sent you probably in the neighborhood of 50 emails requesting help. Save your fingers for typing...I should have the car back in a couple weeks, and then it is all back on me and finishing everything remaining on the car. Then you might wish I had lost your email.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts