Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As you can see in my sig, my 66 is silver blue with blue standard interior. But I also have a white vinyl top. My headliner is white, something that I assume is not typical with a blue standard interior. But dang, it sure looks "right" with that top.

Anyone know if the OEM headliner color was color matched to a vinyl top? Or was the interior installed per the interior code and the top added later in the assembly process, disconnecting headliner color from top color?

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
In 1964 1/2 and 1965, All Hardtop cars got a White Headliner. That's just the way Ford did it in those years. In 1966, The headliner color matched the interior color unless you had a Two-Tone interior which was usually a Deluxe interior.

The Vinyl Top was completely independent of the interior color (Though it was usually coordinated but not always) and would have been either White or Black in 1966.

:eek:)

Tony K.

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, Tony. I appreciate you weighing in. I was unaware of "any color as long as it's white" for the 64.5 and 65s.

·
Dimples
5,659 Posts
In 1964 1/2 and 1965, All Hardtop cars got a White Headliner. That's just the way Ford did it in those years. In 1966, The headliner color matched the interior color unless you had a Two-Tone interior which was usually a Deluxe interior.

The Vinyl Top was completely independent of the interior color (Though it was usually coordinated but not always) and would have been either White or Black in 1966.

:eek:)

Tony K.
]

I’m no concours expert, but I don’t think this is true. If memory serves, early 65 had white, but somewhere well before the end of regular 65 production, colors were introduced. A few decades ago, I had a 65 that I’m sure had an original headliner and it was a very light blue (blue/blue car).

·
Registered
9,040 Posts
There may have been a '65 Cut-off date when they went to a "Colored" headliner...in the Hardtop cars....but I'm unsure of when that date may be. I know that some '64 1/2 and '65 Black interior Fastbacks got Black Headliners... so it may be another "Plant Specific" thing they had for awhile... You may have to do a survey of Regular '65 Production Hardtops to get your answer.... :eek:) Tony K.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts