Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
could someone please give me some instruction on how to remove the rear window trim and get the back window out,??,,,without damaging the trim??...what tool should be used??....I'm going to attempt to install a new headliner in my 1970 Boss, I know the rear window needs to come out..Looking for some pointers & directions before I Wing it!....If anyone has done this job on their own I'd sure appreciate some advice..

·
Registered
156 Posts
It isn't that difficult if you have the correct tool which can be bought at most auto supply stores.
First: After removing the stainless, are you going to put in a new gasket for the rear glass? If so, go ahead and use a sharp knife or razor and cut the outer portion of the rubber which will allow you to get inside and gently push (I usually start in a upper corner) on the glass. Have patience and it'll start to come out. It'll come out even if you want to re-use the old gasket and you don't cut it as I mentioned above.
Now, if you're the least bit hesitant of doing this, go to a glass shop and have them remove the trim and glass and come back when you have the headliner installed.
More questions? Just ask.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Would it be better to reuse the existing gasket since it is in good shape and well seated & formed to the window? If so will applying pressure,starting at a top corner and working my way across the top of the window get it to brake loose?
Should I use any silicone or sealant when putting it back in? And when putting the outter trim back on,will it just snap on back in place?... is the tool to remove the trim something NAPA or AutoZone would sell?

·
Registered
160 Posts
I've done it in my '72 coupe. I had no experience at all, but it proved to be not difficult. I carefully removed the trim without it, but like oldschool says there's a special tool for it. I've seen it in most catalogs of the well known Mustang parts suppliers. Then I cut the outside of the gasket. With a helper outside, it was very easy to push out the window. I would never want to use the old gasket again. A new gasket is not that expensive and allows you to seal the window properly when reinstalling. I reinstalled my window with a rope (and a helper who was pushing from the outside). I found many posts in this forum giving tips on how to seal the window. Good luck!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Would it be better to reuse the existing gasket since it is in good shape and well seated & formed to the window?
I'm betting that gasket has been there for some time, and if it isn't cracked, it will be brittle enough to begin cracking or separating and you'll be in the middle of re-installing the glass and have to stop and get a new one. Besides, going back with a nice, pliable gasket is the best preventive measure of having to redo a leaking window.

If so will applying pressure,starting at a top corner and working my way across the top of the window get it to brake loose?
Yes

Should I use any silicone or sealant when putting it back in?
Putting silicone on the gasket will allow an easier install. HOWEVER, silicone and sealer don't mix too well. A well-diluted shampoo with water, rubbed on the gasket by hand will work fine.

And when putting the outter trim back on,will it just snap on back in place?... is the tool to remove the trim something NAPA or AutoZone would sell?
You're going to need to apply even pressure on each place the clips are located. Don't be tempted to grab a rubber mallet. To get into a better position, grab a box to stand on so you can press down a tad harder. Before applying the stainless, get a white grease pen or masking tape and mark on the glass where each clip is located so you'll know where to apply pressure. Yes, the window tool should be avail at auto zone.

One last thing: you'll need to buy the correct sealant for the glass install....check with a mustang supplier or your local glass shop. This is the messy part. Once the glass and gasket are in, you'll need to apply ample amounts of sealant between glass and rubber and between the body pinch-weld and gasket.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for ther help,going to get started on it this afternoon,I'll let you know how it turns out,all the tips should make it a "piece of Cake".....Thanks!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts