Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
402 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Getting ready to put the headliner back in, I have read many good reference articles.
I already have a layer of 2nd skin sound deadner on the main roof areas and sail panels. This made a HUGE difference in vibration when tapping anywhere on the roof, feels very solid now :)
Do I still need to use the factory style "soft" insulation? I am wondering if this is needed (especially in the sail panel areas) to provide softness for the headliner?
I would rather not use it if not needed.
Thanks

·
Registered
2,486 Posts
Why on earth would you need a "soft" headliner? How often do you touch it?

I would finish it off with a thin, light layer of some sort of closed cell foam. It will do wonders for your heat insulation.

-Matt

·
Registered
5,674 Posts
In the roof it won;t matter much as its non-contact, but it will keep heat radiation down on a sunny day. not sure how well the sound deadener does for that.

On the sail panels the insulation will fill out the liner a bit and give a bit better look. At least it did on my '68.

·
Registered
1,528 Posts
You really need the factory jute padding on the sail panels. I've tried installing a headliner with bare sail panels, and trust me, it looks awful. On my last headliner install, I went with the original insulation/padding on the sail panels over a layer of Dynamat, then just put a layer of Dynamat all along the inside of the roof skin, without reinstalling the factory padding.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts