Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I will be replacing placing the headliner in my coupe soon. What's the word on insulating the roof? I've heard sooo much about all of these Dynomat, etc. inspired products. As far as insulating the roof, should I stick with the original type of insulation or go with something "new"????
Thanks.

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
I bought the roof insulation kit from NPD. It's basically jute carpet padding.

When I insulated my floors, I bought several sheets of adhesive mastic from McMaster.com, part # 9709T39. They also sell aluminum faced materials more similar to Dynomat.

I used jute carpet padding for the rear seat/qtr panel areas, cutting to fit. That stuff is a PITA to cut.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
How many sheets did you end up using on your floor? The price seems very inexpensive. .079 sounds very pliable aslo. How did you like your results? Lastly, should you need to remove the mastic material, how hard do you think it would be?

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
After Sanding and priming my roof, I used Dynamat. It turned out very nice. I did not notice a difference in the inside temperature in the summer but the road and rain noise was greatly reduced.

http://www.janschutz.com/Mustang/ABCurrentProject05.jpg

http://www.janschutz.com/Mustang/ABCurrentProject06.jpg

·
Registered
10,598 Posts
I bought four sheets, still have 3/4 of one left. The car was a bare shell so I can't compare it before~after, but it definitely is not noisy inside.

EDIT: I don't know if it'll be a PITA to remove or not, haven't tried. I might end up reworking the dash this winter, so I'll give it a test pull to see if it comes off or not.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Do you think this stuff will peel off of the roof over time? How good of quality is the adhesive used? Your install looks good, and it sounds like you prepped it well. Did you use the "regular" insulator after the Dynamat?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Check out sounddeadenershowdown.com. They did a few tests using samples of various deadeners including the usage of it upside down and subjected to heat like a roof would be. Pretty informative.

·
Registered
685 Posts
I used Second skin. There is no way that stuff is coming off. Noise was greatly reduced. It seemed cooler in the summer as well. When you knock on the roof it sounds like the steel is 2" thick.
I used a trunk pack and two sheets of the accoustic foam. It covered the entire roof and the sides. If you do a search on my name you will find the recomendation from Second Skin.
I can't wait to do the floorboards and the trunk.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Riverside66 said:
Do you think this stuff will peel off of the roof over time? How good of quality is the adhesive used? Your install looks good, and it sounds like you prepped it well. Did you use the "regular" insulator after the Dynamat?
It held over the summer so I do not think it will peel. I did not use the regular insulation. I do not think it will help keep anything cool. Most of the heat come in thru the glass windowms.

·
Registered
2,283 Posts
I like this product - especially for the money
http://www.bquiet.com/
I am using the B-Quiet Extreme on my '66 (don't tink they had the Utimate when I bought mine) - I will probably add Reflectix (foil bubble wrap) to the hump around the transmission to completely get rid of any heat.

I used Reflectix on throof of my '65, then added the regular insulation pads, then filled in all the gaps with some some duct insulation with foil backing. This was very cheap to do, and all the dynomat type products were not around. It actually turned out well, I used the Reflectix on the floorboard with the regular floor (asphalt, plastic) underlayment. I have been happy with it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts