Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, Id like to hear a bit about your experiences with headliner installations.
How long does it take? Do the windshield and the rear window have to be taken out in order to install it (probably?!)?

Im not really after a complete guide on how to do it. Id just like to get a general idea, to figure out if I should consider doing it sometime soon, or not.

When putting in a new gasket at the rear window, we kind of ripped a part of the headliner.
And just recently Ive made another silly move on the front window, and added another hole to the headliner there. It aint too bad, but it bugs me.

Id like to get a new one, but since I plan to get the whole car taken apart and painted in about 2-3 years (when the budget allows it), Im not sure that this is a good idea. I thought Id wait until then, but now Im not that sure about it anymore... .

Thanks for you input! /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
The headliner itself isn't terribly difficult, but plan on a FULL day to do it. Most of the time is spent in tearing apart the car and putting it back together, since you have to remove the inner quarter panels, which means removing the back seat, the package tray, the quarter window handles, the sill plates, and then finally the quarter panels. This isn't even taking into consideration pulling the front/back windshield trim and glass, sun visors, rear view mirror, and re-assembly of all.

You can do it, just be patient. I've done 4 coupes now (1 '65, 2 '66's, and a '69). Each one came out better than the previous ones. The last 2 that I did, couldn't have been done anybetter by a professional.

G

·
0 Posts
Im just a shade-tree, but I have to agree with the previous posts. The one I did was with the windows in and it came out ok, but it was a pain. I guess its also directly proportional to how hot it is outside when you do it. Oh, I recommend buying two of those "headliner glue" cans (Don't want to run out 3/4 of the way thru, I learned the hard way) and using clothsline pins on the sides to help you hold it in place. And I'm almost positive that sometime during the evolution you will be compelled to throw your hands up in the air and say "why the heck didn't I pay someone to do this!" But, you will always have the satisfaction of doing it yourself, at least that's what us do-it-yourselfers say. Good luck.

·
Registered
699 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your replies.

John, I definately know what you mean about the disassembly of all the mentioned parts.
Ive put in a new carpet one and a half years ago, and getting out the quarter panels, kick panels, door sills et cetera, was truly fun! /forums/images/icons/wink.gif

Pulling the windows and the package tray, as it would be necessary for a proper installation of the headliner (I kind of expected that this was necessary), definatley dosent sound like fun either. Actually it sounds like a huge PITA.

Ill have to think about a new headliner again... . /forums/images/icons/smile.gif

1 - 5 of 5 Posts