Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm getting ready to reinstall my headliner on my '65 coupe. It looks like there are two sets of holes for each bow to go into. One is slightly higher than the other. Can someone tell me which set the bows attach to?? I didn't realize there were 2 different holes when I pulled it apart.

Thanks
Dave

·
Registered
393 Posts

·
Premium Member
19,203 Posts
I've heard someone say that the various holes are there to increase headroom. Whether that's true or not, I don't know. Does anyone know why there are two holes for the headliner bows?

·
Registered
3,628 Posts
might have been to adjust for irregularites in body. My "Mustang Interior Restoration Guide " by Art Trantafello mentions to mark the holes when you remove them. Or it might be one set for fastbacks and one set for coupes. coupes have 4 bows and fastbacks have 3 i believe.

·
Registered
3,897 Posts
I've installed two 65 coupe headliners and have always used the top holes. Reason being is the headliner insulation pad is 1/2" thick and when you string the bows thru the headliner and rotate them upwards into their final position, everything comes out tighter. And the bows stay put as you prepare the stretching process. For me its just a personal preference, but I like the bows to be snug against the insulation pad, not loose.

·
Registered
913 Posts
It depends on how much headroom and how tight (as twotoots said) you want the headliner to be. In 71-73's there is three sets of holes.

In addition to the above write-up, I have one for my 72 coupe (pictoral) that goes step by step. It's roughly the same procedure for you car also.

http://www.desertmustangs.com/1972coupe/Headliner/Headliner.htm

·
Registered
56 Posts
Hi Dave

I just took my old headliner out of my 65 coupe but my bows are still installed. If you still need to know which holes to use I will check tonight and send you a pic if you need it. Let me know.

I'm also about to install a new headliner in my car, probably next week. Perhaps we can swap knowledge. I took my windshields out to do this job, did u?

Sue

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
yes let me know what holes yours were in. My bows have no colors on them (except rust) and it looks to me like both sets of holes have wear marks on them. So I am still at a loss.

As far as the windsheild goes, i did not remove it. I am hoping to be able to get a good fit with it still in. Removing the windsheild is something I did not want to get into.

Dave

1 - 8 of 8 Posts