Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,495 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, I got the new headliner in after studying many posts on the forum. It didn't look too bad until I started putting the front and back windshield w/new gaskets in and then ughhh. Looks worse and worse. Started sagging alittle past midway in the back. The back flap came down by back windshield when trying to put in the gasket....on and on... Oh well, like someone posted awhile back,might start getting pretty good about the 3'd or 4 th headliner I put in. Guess I'll order a new one and go visit the headliner man... and damn that back window was hard to get in there, I'm sure I will hear from SWMBO when my youngest son (14) repeats some of the "new" vocabulary he attained. I know I haven't said some of those words since my yondering days in the Navy back in '75. One small question: is there supposed to be something to cover up the holes in the sides just in front of the back window? I mean the headliner doesn't really just glue on and those large holes showing their outline? Guess I'll get another minor dufus for this. Oh yeah, on one small note, I did go ahead and get the 3 point seat belts and welded in the stuff in the overhead per someone's instructions. Man, this stuff is like gold on here.
 

·
Administrator
Joined
·
19,348 Posts
I feel your pain. I didn't care much for the "holes" either, but nothing appeared to cover them originally. At least on my car.
I used some expanding foam insulation inside my panels and trimmed the excess down to smooth them out. I didn't exactly get the results I would have liked to see though. I may try something different next time. And there WILL be a next time. About a week after installation the seam above the driver's head split about 2 inches. It made me sick. I must have sat and stared at for 20-30 minutes. At least my car is still in the "project' stage and the glass isn't fully installed yet. neither is much of the other interior.
I've been putting off redoing the headliner for 2 years now.
Lots of other things to do, yessirreebob.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
680 Posts
I used some really sticky double stick tape above the windshield on my '70...it helped a lot....also, i used it along the sides above the windows...it held the liner in place till I got it right....it is not a fun job, though.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
887 Posts
The holes you speak of had a sound deadner material glued to the pillars over them originaly from the factory. Same stuff like should be behind the interior quarter trim panels. Looks like brown insulation, about.... maybe 1/4"-3/8" thick. Do not make it too thick or it will bulge out and look puffy. Where the bottom of the headliner meets the package tray and hooks to the "barbs" there should also be a piece of "fiber board" on each side. It will be about 1/8'' thick and 3'' to 4'' long or so. This helps hold the material down. Hopefully you glued the headliner all the way around and clipped it into place while glue set up. We use several old pieces of windlace to hold headliner tight to the pinch weld. Don't be afraid to pull the material TIGHT!! It will flop like a sheet if you do not get it tight the first time. First one I did was in the winter time and when summer came...... ohhhhh boy. Hope this info helps.
 
1 - 5 of 5 Posts
Top