Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I want to add head rests to my seats.
Does anyone have experience finding headrests and mounting hardware for ’68 standard low back seats. NPD and CJP have different headrests for 65-67 (two post) and 69 (one post). Which would be correct?

·
Registered
262 Posts
From my (very limited) understanding, the short answer is "neither".

The seatback w/o the headrest in 1968 is the same as that in 1969. However, headrests for 1968 were optional and were a two-post style which (I believe) is unique and different from that used in 65-67 (I am not even sure that all 1968 seatbacks had the internal brackets needed for adding those unique two-post headrests (?)) In 1969 they added a single-post bracket to the internal of the seat which accepted the single post headrest.

When I added headrests to my 1968 a number of years back, I just replaced my 1968 seatbacks with second-hand 1969 seatbacks which included the headrests. I have also read about some people fabricating and adding the 1969 single-post bracket to their 1968 seats and then using a 1969 headrest.

There may be aftermarket headrests that fit 1968 seats but I am not aware of them.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
From my (very limited) understanding, the short answer is "neither".

There may be aftermarket headrests that fit 1968 seats but I am not aware of them.
Thanks. Yes, I gather that headrests were optional in the second half of the 68 production and were standard for 69 low back seats.
I gather that no one makes a 68 kit/headrest replacement. I also see that new covers are different for the 68 & 69 due to a slight difference in size.
Therefore, maybe I should clarify my question.
Both companies offer a kit to attach the two different headrests (65-67 two post and 69 single post). That's obviously a necessity for the 65-67 as they never had headrests. The kit for the 69 looks like the original.
My new question should be: Do both installation kits work on the 68 seat back?

·
Registered
290 Posts
While 2 post headrests were a factory option in 1968, about 20% came with that option. (Per Kevin Marti's book "Mustang by the Numbers" 64,053 cars were factory equipped) Keep in mind however that all '68 Ford products also used the same or similar headrests so if "original" is your goal, consider looking for any '68 Ford car as a possible donor.

In the aftermarket, TMI makes a two post retro-kit for '65-'67 Mustangs that are easy to install, look authentic, and function well. How easy it would be to adapt them to a '68 seat-back is beyond my knowledge, but with determination most anything is possible.

·
Registered
532 Posts
When I added headrests to my 1968 a number of years back, I just replaced my 1968 seatbacks with second-hand 1969 seatbacks which included the headrests. I have also read about some people fabricating and adding the 1969 single-post bracket to their 1968 seats and then using a 1969 headrest.

Great idea about replacing seatbacks.
Yes, there are aftermarket headrests for the Mustang as well as other cars that I think an inventive person can adapt.

Here's where I am with my 66 vert.
I removed some headrests from a 98 Cad Eldorado from a salvage yard (I needed headrests with the shoulder safety belt guides, because on my convertible, the shoulder belt comes too low such that I am told it is dangerous. So I needed a guide that would elevate the belt above my shoulder line.)

I also wanted light colored upholstery so that I would be able to dye it the proper color to match my interior (there are SO MANY different shades of blue that it's almost impossible to find the right shade blue, even on other Ford products)

At the junkyard, I removed the upholstery on the Caddy seat back to expose the seat frame, and I CUT OUT the top part of the seat frame (I took a battery-powered Sawzall to the yard -- no problems). So I now have the entire headrest assembly, including the attachment posts welded the proper distance apart. (See my pix posted below)
Now, using the method shown for the aftermarket headrest installation, I should be able to open the cutout piece of the frame so that it could slip over the top of my seatback frame. Alternatively, I could rivet or bolt on a crosspiece across the back of my seats, and fasten this assembly that I cut out to this cross piece.

My present hesitation is that I might not want to install these headrests, as I am not sure if they actually would match the classic Mustang interior. Eventually, I'll have an epiphany and decide one way or another.....

EXAMPLE AFTERMARKET HR's for Mustangs

EXAMPLE AFTERMARKET HR's for Chevelle (might be able to adapt them -- and they are MUCH cheaper than TMI's HR's for Mustangs)

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: Single post

INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS: Double post

The Caddillac Eldo headrest Assemblies I got from a junk yard:
20200215_155159.jpg

20200215_155207.jpg

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have searched for the unique 68 headrests, found them and had them restored. They are blow molded, kind of like a dash pad. I found a company to repair them. They did a fantastic job, but the cost was crazy $. Luckily it was not my checkbook being used. Go with the 69 kit and add it on. That is the cheapest and best route... unless you want to spend over a thousand on the headrests and restoration.

Reactions: CJM68GT390

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have searched for the unique 68 headrests, found them and had them restored. They are blow molded, kind of like a dash pad. I found a company to repair them. They did a fantastic job, but the cost was crazy $. Luckily it was not my checkbook being used. Go with the 69 kit and add it on. That is the cheapest and best route... unless you want to spend over a thousand on the headrests and restoration.
I'm not looking for authentic 68 headrests, just working headrests for safety and comfort. I'll take the seats apart and determine which kit will work best, the 65-67 or 69. A full 69 kit from NPD, two headrests, covers, and guide/retainer assembly, will cost about $350. Actually not bad. I'll look at NPD's cost for 65-67 as well as CJP and TPI. Seems I've got lots of options.
Thanks everyone for your inputs.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
I have a set of the "rotunda" accessory headrests for the 65-66 cars that will not get used. They are buried in a box in the garage somewhere. They are the ones that look like a roll of paper towels on top of your seat.

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I have a set of the "rotunda" accessory headrests for the 65-66 cars that will not get used. They are buried in a box in the garage somewhere. They are the ones that look like a roll of paper towels on top of your seat.
Coupster, let me take the seats apart and determine what will actually work. I might just PM you in a few weeks. Thanks for the offer.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
If I remember, the 69 kit uses a bracket that gets screwed to seat frame. It could be added to pretty much any seatback. The 68 headrest was a weak design in this area, and may be why ford went with the flat bar style for 69. Just a guess on my part.

·
Registered
81 Posts
That's what I did. Pulled the seats and put in some bar with bolts to handle the brackets. they are 69 mustang/cougar head rests and to me look pretty stock for my 65.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I want to add head rests to my seats.
Does anyone have experience finding headrests and mounting hardware for ’68 standard low back seats. NPD and CJP have different headrests for 65-67 (two post) and 69 (one post). Which would be correct?
Just got back on VMF and see your need. To start 68 mustang f/b, cp, conv. all had predrilled and theaded hole locations for factory headrests in their seats. These headrests were made only for this year and 69 are single post and different. If you want an extremely hard to find if ever, I have a number of them.. Color is nice but can be restained with correct ford colors available. If still interested let me know and we can discuss some choice to what I have, good for you. I've collected hard to find mustang parts for many years and will sell a few if I have doubles. Thanks

·
Registered
999 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Just got back on VMF and see your need. To start 68 mustang f/b, cp, conv. all had predrilled and theaded hole locations for factory headrests in their seats. These headrests were made only for this year and 69 are single post and different. If you want an extremely hard to find if ever, I have a number of them.. Color is nice but can be restained with correct ford colors available. If still interested let me know and we can discuss some choice to what I have, good for you. I've collected hard to find mustang parts for many years and will sell a few if I have doubles. Thanks
PM sent.

·
Registered
532 Posts
Hah, just today finished the install of my headrests. I went to the junkyard with a sawzall a few months ago, and found a 2000 Mustang (IIRC) with tan vinyl headrests and shoulder belt guides -- I think they call those HRs rotundas?

I cut all the upholstery away on the junk car, then took the sawzall to cut the entire top frames of the seats off, so I had the entire part of the frame that held the headrest as well as the bracket for the shoulder belt guide.

I trimmed down that headrest bracket and stuffed it into the seatback, just in front of the top piece of the Mustang's seatback frame.
I cut a 15" 1x1 square tube and ran that across the back of my seats and fastened to HR bracket to it.

Looks factory, and very functional. Have attached several pix.

Total cost about $30, including the light metallic blue paint.
Hours spent? Who knows. As a retiree, I have numerous, and unrelated, projects going on, each moving in fits and spurts. The whole idea of accomplishing a single task quickly is unimportant....unlike when I had a 12hr/day job and had to get things DONE.

20200803_121424.jpg

20200804_122610.jpg

20200804_150539.jpg

20200804_174603.jpg

20200804_174535.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,312 Posts
Hah, just today finished the install of my headrests...
Looks factory, and very functional. Have attached several pix.
I wish I could give this TWO thumbs up. Nice job !

1 - 16 of 16 Posts