Vintage Mustang Forums banner

81 - 93 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
2,666 Posts
SF, look at the valve stem tips in your 6th and 7th pictures. You can see the wear pattern in the top of the valve. The flash on the camera might be making it look worse than it really is. After market roller tip rockers with no rails is going to be your easiest and most budget friendly fix. LSG

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
They are "Pedestal" rockers, no they won't work on your heads with Stud mount rockers.

·
Registered
975 Posts
So I ended up picking up a set of C60E. Seller told me they were rebuilt and he only put 60 miles on them and changed his plans and went to aluminum. He seemed very trusting. Got them for $180.

To me they look really great. I’ll do the exhaust porting before putting them on.

Don’t even have to paint them lol.

Should be an improvement from my worn out D8 casting ones that I currently have.

Plus I can keep my headers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Is it just me or in the 8th picture, it looks like one of the rockers is cracked on the valve tip side in the middle?

·
Registered
2,390 Posts
I think you can get a set of roller rockers from Summit for under $200.

Head gaskets also vary greatly in compressed thickness.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Since it seems your engine build is fairly mild, I would look for steel rocker arms instead of Aluminum. They tend to be quieter, and won't have potential valve cover clearance issues.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #90
Since it seems your engine build is fairly mild, I would look for steel rocker arms instead of Aluminum. They tend to be quieter, and won't have potential valve cover clearance issues.
Yeah I’m not sure I really need roller rockers. This is the cam I have. Plus a 600 carb and headers. That’s about it.

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
Yeah I’m not sure I really need roller rockers. This is the cam I have. Plus a 600 carb and headers. That’s about it.

I agree, I should have been more specific ! I guess I was really responding the the AL rockers linked above

·
Registered
20,378 Posts
You could always check with a machine shop and have studs put in. I'd just stick with the factory cast rockers. As @stephen_wilson said they'll be quieter the aluminum roller rockers. I ran a set of Ford Cobra aluminum rocker arms for a while. They were noisy. Went back to the stamped steel 1.6 factory rockers. Even though the Cobra were 1.7, I really didn't notice any difference in power.

If you do take the heads to a shop, not trying to escalate things as it easy to do and loose sight of the original goals. Maybe find out what the shop would charge for a little bowl clean up and exhaust port work. Nothing fancy just some basic clean up.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter #93
You could always check with a machine shop and have studs put in. I'd just stick with the factory cast rockers. As @stephen_wilson said they'll be quieter the aluminum roller rockers. I ran a set of Ford Cobra aluminum rocker arms for a while. They were noisy. Went back to the stamped steel 1.6 factory rockers. Even though the Cobra were 1.7, I really didn't notice any difference in power.

If you do take the heads to a shop, not trying to escalate things as it easy to do and loose sight of the original goals. Maybe find out what the shop would charge for a little bowl clean up and exhaust port work. Nothing fancy just some basic clean up.
I plan to do the exhaust port matching myself.

81 - 93 of 93 Posts