Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We finished my sons 1968 coupe this spring and he has been driving the car while we work out the bugs.

Its fall now and he is using heat and defrost. Last night he came home and told me the defrost quit working. I went outside and checked. The blower would not turn on for heat or defrost.

This morning, i went to start looking as to what it might be. I started the car and heard the blower on. Any thoughts? Resistor? Switch? I dont suspect wiring because i did not move the car. All i did was start it, and the blower went on.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,367 Posts
Bad ground, loose connection at power, dirty switch contacts or bad resistor.

·
Hi, how ya doin
2,213 Posts
Get a wiring diagram & a 12V test light & when it does not work start checking it to see where the power is stopping at.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I started the car this morning before he left. I noticed that the fan was on, but when i turned to high, it did not work. I dont drive the car, he does. So I told him to pay attention to what it does.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for all the help.

I will replace the resistor. I just looked at it. It appears that mine is screwed in from outside the housing, but the resistor is inside the housing. So I guess i need to take 1/2 of the housing out.

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
I vote for more trouble shooting.
Next time it fails, open hood, using meter or test light, check voltage on yellow blower motor wire at firewall.
Your problem can be:
Bad or poor connection at resistor or motor
or bad connection at heater panel or switch. Make sure heater panel mounted tight.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I started the car this morning before he left. I noticed that the fan was on, but when i turned to high, it did not work. I dont drive the car, he does. So I told him to pay attention to what it does.

The resistor is not used on the high position. It is feed 12V directly from the switch.

Nick

·
Registered
10,265 Posts
I would suspect the blower motor switch. If the blower is working intermittently, and sometimes on "High", that rules out the resistor and the fuse. However, a faulty switch will sometimes work and sometimes not. Also, it's a cheap and easy fix. You might try removing the switch and giving it a good cleaning with spray can contact cleaner.

Keep looking. Driving a car in winter without heat is no fun. Ask me how I know. :frown2:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts