Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Like a moron, I snapped off the rusted manifold stud for my heat tube shroud. Do you think I can drill it out with a right angle drill attachment or is there an easier way? I don't want to pull off the manifold. Duct tape and JB weld came to mind but I didn't think this would cut it. This is a '66 2bbl 289 w/stock standard manifolds.

Also, has anybody played with adding an air duct tube to the stock snorkel on the cold air opening to get it closer to a clean cool air supply (like the vent holes near the battery)?

Thanks.

reedbr
'66 289/5sp

G

·
0 Posts
if it hasn't caused an exhaust leak I'd just let it be. although this approach has gotten me into trouble before. About the cold air thing, the battery vent looks like a nice place to bring in cold air but you'd have to move the battery for sure, at least on my 67, not that that's any big deal - throw it in the trunk. Open element air cleaners are cheap and I would think they'd perform better than a tube to that battery vent on a closed heat-riser air cleaner.

67 coupe, 289

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I don't think it was your fault. Those things get pretty frozen and the external parts of them rust and weaken and they break off. I used a right angle drill and drilled mine out. Of course this was after breaking an easy out in it whick took the longest to get IT out!

I then tapped it out - works good now! (70 Coupe 302 2v)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts