Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Like a moron, I snapped off the rusted manifold stud for my heat tube shroud. Do you think I can drill it out with a right angle drill attachment or is there an easier way? I don't want to pull off the manifold. Duct tape and JB weld came to mind but I didn't think this would cut it. This is a '66 2bbl 289 w/stock standard manifolds.

Also, has anybody played with adding an air duct tube to the stock snorkel on the cold air opening to get it closer to a clean cool air supply (like the vent holes near the battery)?

Thanks.

reedbr
'66 289/5sp

G

·
if it hasn't caused an exhaust leak I'd just let it be. although this approach has gotten me into trouble before. About the cold air thing, the battery vent looks like a nice place to bring in cold air but you'd have to move the battery for sure, at least on my 67, not that that's any big deal - throw it in the trunk. Open element air cleaners are cheap and I would think they'd perform better than a tube to that battery vent on a closed heat-riser air cleaner.

67 coupe, 289

·
Registered
786 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me. I don't think it was your fault. Those things get pretty frozen and the external parts of them rust and weaken and they break off. I used a right angle drill and drilled mine out. Of course this was after breaking an easy out in it whick took the longest to get IT out!

I then tapped it out - works good now! (70 Coupe 302 2v)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.