Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
489 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I finally got my new Mallory distrib cap that'll work with my Motorsport wires. And while I was looking through my Summit and Jegs catalogs, I noticed they had what looked like aluminum sleeves for the plug wires as heat shields. My last set of plug wires got burned by my headers (they didn't touch, but they were close) to the point where the #4 wireboot crumbled and a few others cracked when I pulled them off. Yes yes, bad me for letting them even get that far gone.

Anyway, since my new wires are really nice, would those heat sleeves actually offer protection to the boots or is it just another gimmick?

·
Registered
10,587 Posts
I run Firesleeves on the race car plug wires (near the headers) and on the SS braided fuel line where it passes near the header collector. I also run the aluminum reflective-type insulator tubes over the ATF cooler lines where they pass near the headers.

Can't tell you if they're the cats meow but never had any system problems with them in place under pretty adverse conditions on occasion.. also, built an aluminum heat shield to protect puke tank after static testing indicated the headers were melting it..*G*...really helped...

Peruse the pix at the bottom of my race car page for more details...

·
Premium Member
11,700 Posts
1 - 3 of 3 Posts