Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys,

Just picked up an '09 Fusion SEL AWD and find that when you push the heated seat button it will flash for a second or less and go out and of course, no heat. This happens on both seats. Normally, I would assume a heating element is shot but weird that both went at the same time. Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Bad relay, timer or possible short circuit in the coils in the seat.

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Hi Guys,

Just picked up an '09 Fusion SEL AWD and find that when you push the heated seat button it will flash for a second or less and go out and of course, no heat. This happens on both seats. Normally, I would assume a heating element is shot but weird that both went at the same time. Thoughts??
Chances are both seats are on the same circuit...so it wouldn't surprise me if one element went out both would cease to function

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Chances are both seats are on the same circuit...so it wouldn't surprise me if one element went out both would cease to function
Possibly but, I had an '04 Focus that the driver's side heat stopped working yet the pass. side was still good. I believe I know where the fuse and relay is on this car, I'll check them both first tomorrow.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Slight update..............driving along tonight and I hit the heat button.* Both lights come on for the driver's side and stay on for 40 seconds and I start to feel heat.* Pass side will not come on though.* Now maybe it was just a coincidence but just about the time I hit a bump, it goes off and will not come back on.* I pull in the driveway and shut the car off and then re-start it and hit the heat button and all it does is flash on for less than a second.* Thoughts??

·
Registered
1,714 Posts
Loose power connection or ground.

·
Registered
628 Posts
Every time I've encountered this I ended up having to remove the seat, pulling the seat covers off, and replacing the heating pad. The problem is that the small gauge heating wire, which needs to flex every time a bum is applied, can break, causing an open circuit. The controller looks for specified current flow, and with an open circuit, sees none, and gives up. Because this is a completely looped circuit, the old standard comment "check your ground" does not really apply. The other default comment about shorts would apply, but since the controller will trip on either a short or an open circuit, there is only one way I know how to check that, and it would be to buy a new pad and plug it into the connector below the seat. If it works, that confirms that the problem (open or short) is in the seat.

The easiest thing you can do, short of buying a pad, is to check the resistance of the heating pads (seat and back in series, one connection under the seat) by disconnecting the plug going to the element and measuring its resistance. If you measure something other than an open circuit, have someone sit on the seat and repeat the process. If the heat does not stay on with nobody sitting on the seat than that is not relevant. I've done several and usually once the circuit is open, there is no coming back.

If you get to the point of pulling the seat you should check the seat bottom and seat back heating pads separately. Chances are that you will need to replace the bottom pad, but I did have to replace one seat back on an 06 Focus - passenger side which is pretty strange given that the driver's side will have more use. Wait until you pull and check both pads before buying a replacement.

If you think about the components - controller, switch, wire, wire harness connectors, and little itty bitty wires embedded in seat cushions that need to flex every time someone sits in it, and every time you hit a speed bump, which of those components has the most severe environment, and what would you bet is failed?

I hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,829 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
If you think about the components - controller, switch, wire, wire harness connectors, and little itty bitty wires embedded in seat cushions that need to flex every time someone sits in it, and every time you hit a speed bump, which of those components has the most severe environment, and what would you bet is failed?

I hope this helps.
Yes, it makes perfect sense that it is the pad (s). The car has 160K miles so I'm not surprised that would be the case. Probably not going to the trouble of tracking it further as this is just a winter car for us and I'll flip it in the spring. I asked the Wife what was more important to get working, the seats or the remote start and she said the starter so I think we will address that.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts