Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I have a 65 two speed blower motor which runs perfectly and a NOISEY 66 three speed blower motor which is currently installed on my 66. In lieu of re-switching and rewiring my 66 and installing the 2 speed blower, can I take necessary parts from the 65 two speed and refurbish the 66 three speed motor? Are the bushings/bearings interchangeable?

·
Registered
4,397 Posts
A new motor is $20 from RockAuto.

·
Registered
36,494 Posts
The 2-speed and 3-speed motors are completely different. The 2-speed is two circuits inside a single case. The three speed is actually a plain single-circuit motor, controlled through resistors to provide variable speed.

The $20 VDO from Rock Auto is very close, only the wires give it away. If you want exact, get the ACP repro motor.

·
Registered
37,688 Posts
Typically, these motor have a bearing on the "fan end" and a bronze bushing on the "commutator end". Either can "sing" if the lost lubrication. I've found many times these small DC motors can be disassembled and the bearing and/or bushing replaced. Sometimes all it takes is a little electric motor grease and a hypodermic needle.

As far as the '65 vs '66 motors... hypothetically speaking I don't see why you COULDN'T use the entire '65 motor by leaving the wire to the low-speed winding unattached (and capped) and wiring the high-speed wire to hot and the ground-side wire back to the blower motor resistor. It's hard to say whether the original 2-speed motor has the durability to run with its voltage lowered but there's one way to find out....

I'd examine rebuilding the original '66 motor first, though.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 2-speed and 3-speed motors are completely different. The 2-speed is two circuits inside a single case. The three speed is actually a plain single-circuit motor, controlled through resistors to provide variable speed.

The $20 VDO from Rock Auto is very close, only the wires give it away. If you want exact, get the ACP repro motor.

THX for the input. ACP looks good.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts