Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I went out today and decided to start up the fastback and "blow the soot out :)." Anyways I let the car run for about 30 minutes or so and then I got in it and gave it a little gas to rev. up the motor. When I did this, I looked down at my heater box assembly and noticed antifreeze leaking out of my heater box ::. Is this normal, is it just a bad seal? Please help me out. Also I may have another problem, I have a cowl cap on my fastback and it has been there for a long time. The previous owner had it on there for years and I don't believe it has ever been removed. Well, it keep water out, but I noticed today that there is some water that has condensed on the inside of the cowl cap ::. Should I worry about the water build up? Should I remove the cowl cap? I have to leave the car outside, which sucks, under a car cover, so I would be afraid to remove the cowl cap because of water that may enter my cowl. Also, if I remove the cowl cap, the seal around it would come loose and it is about dry rotted, so there would be no more cowl cap to put back on basically. Please help me guys!

·
Registered
91 Posts
The leak from the heater box is most likely from the heater core inside. The core is like a mini radiator that the coolant circulates through. You'll need to replace the core, which is pretty cheap. But it is a bit of work.
As far as the cowl cover, I'd probably leave it on at this point. The condensation is minimal compared to rain that would get in. If you open the fresh air vents under the dash, it would allow some air to circulate and dry out the cowl from the condensation.

Where in Virginia are you?

·
Registered
484 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! Another question though. About the fresh air vents under the dash, exactly what are they? Is that the pieces like you can buy to repair the cowl vents? If so, I looked up under my dash and it looks like the previous owner cut to round pieces of metal and blocked them off. How would I go about reparing this?

And by the way Old_Red I live in the Southwest,VA area. Close to the West Virginia and Kentucky border. Thanks guys!

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
You won't get any fresh air with the cowl cap. Sounds like you have a cowl vent replacement ahead of you...

·
Registered
91 Posts
The fresh air vents are cylindrical shapes, approx 6" in diameter, on the outside ends of the cowl. They rise a couple inches above the base of the cowl, allowing air into the cabin, but holding water out (in theory). They also allow debris to get trapped around them, eventually rusting out the cowl area around the cylinders.

To repair, you have to open the cowl from the top, cut out the bad metal and weld in replacement sections. If the rust is minimal, you can try the plastic "hat" inserts that install from inside the cabin and use silicone to seal to the bottom of the cowl.

Given the previous owner's handiwork, I'm not sure which approach would work better for you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts