Vintage Mustang Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had no air coming from the heater so over the weekend I pulled it apart and sure enough it was full of leaves. Also the motor wasn't working, but when I hooked it direct to the battery, it runs fine. Any common problems I can look for, resistor etc.

I plan to put a seal kit in it but whats the best to the finish of the box. I thought about taking it to the car wash, hosing it down and maybe a coat of primer to any of the metal parts with rust. Any thoughts...

Lastly, is it best to just put a new $30 heater core in or should I take the old one to a radiator shop for test.

Thanks in advance.

G

·
Check your heater switch and cables to make sure they are working. I would not get the motor wet. I'd probably sand down the case and prime and paint it semi gloss black. I would go ahead and put in a new core while I was at it.

·
Registered
2,374 Posts
Get a new core, it isn't worth trying to fix the old one.

·
Registered
6,008 Posts
Wash it down, spray it semi gloss black.

For the rusty metal parts, I took out the ones that could be removed, sanded them down, hit them with zinc phosphate solution (metal-ready from POR), then POR-15 if they didn't show, primer and semigloss if they did.

Looks and works like new.

If the motor runs when connected, then either the leaves were holding it back or the resistor element is shot. Or your switch is shot.

Good luck.

Frank

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
If the motor works when connected to the battery, I'd chek the wires bewteen the box and the battery.

·
Gone but never forgotten
25,239 Posts
Yes, easiest way is with an ohm meter (circuit tester will work). Ground one side of the meter, then plug the other side into the 3 way prong of the switch. It'll take some experimentation, as it will be difficult to figure out which wire goes to which switch position, but ultimately if the switch is good, there should be no continuity to any of the 3 wires with the switch off and should have conitiniuty on one wire with each switch position, and on 2 wires when the switch is on high.

You can usually tell if the resistor pack is good just by looking at it. If it's all rusty and has any broken coils, replace it.

Oh, and I could be wrong, but I don't believe heater boxes were painted ... I know mine's not, and it's original. Niethe was the one that was in my son's '65, nor any of the one's in my '69's. Just clean it good and leave the paint off of it, IMHO.

I agree about the POR-15 on the metal parts and definately replace the heater core while you're there, as you don't want to be doing this again next year ;)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts