Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part JUNE's Ride of the Month Challenge!
  • May's Ride of the Month contest ended with a tie! Go to this thread to vote on the winner! VOTE HERE
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was hoping someone on here could help me out on this. I unscrewed the fastener from the top right side on the back of the heater controls so I could get it away from the dash to paint on my 66. This was a month ago and I've forgotten if there's anything else that attaches to it. It used to sit flush but now when I put it back on the controls stay down from the dash like pictured.

The fastener is all the way screwed down on the post but there's nothing that prevents it from just passing through the lower dash. What am I missing? Is there some sort of cross piece that is supposed to fit between the fastener and the post to pull it back to flush? Really don't want to leave it looking like this after spending all this time painting the dash.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
I'm in the same boat that it's been months since I tore my dash apart and will have to put it back together once I paint it. I do remember that on each post there was a rectangular bracket that rotated to allow r&r of the piece but then you'd rotated it back to latch on the back side of the dash and the nut would tighten onto that. Do you have both those pieces?

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Not that appears to be in my possession any longer (if I did). That would make sense because otherwise it just passes through the dash panel. Any idea where I can obtain a new one or an alternative piece that would function? AMK's site has the fastener but no bracket. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I don't know if the top uses the same fastener, but the lower on my '66 looks like this.

This is the retainer kit you will need. . .

·
Registered
1966 289 2V Coupe FMX Transmission 9-inch Axle
154 Posts
rhutt is correct. One on top, one on bottom at opposing corners. Notice the clamp has a groove cut in opposing tangs. They line up on a part of the face. Fiddle with it a little with the part off and you will see how it works.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts