Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
G

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The heater core on my 70 Mach 1 is leaking - I dont care if the car has heat or not, but will the A/C evaporator work ok with the heater or will it continually freeze up? I have a new core but it looks almost impossible to replace!

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I used Prestone Radiator Seal when my heater core started leaking after using Prestone Heavy Duty Radiator Cleaner!!!

I used just a 1/4 to a 1/3 of the smallish container and that solved my problem. Didn't want to muck up my radiator with the whole thing.

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
i dont know how cold the ac evaporator gets, but you can always bypass the core to keep it from leaking water

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
trust me, changing it is the WORST job on an early mustang...the only reason I've done it instead of getting someone to is I'm a serious cheapskate!!!!

·
Registered
680 Posts
Changing the heater isn't to bad a job, if you can stand on your head, and have 4 hands.....but, changing it is better than putting that stop leak junk in your cooling system.....some advice if you do change the heater core....put short hoses on the heater core, and extend them out the firewall. Then insert short nipples into these, and hook your heater hoses to the nipples. Sounds kind of tacky...but, 2 months from now, when the heater hose breaks, you won't have to pull the heater core to replace the heater hoses.....Ask me how I know...

·
Registered
6,031 Posts
Really? Mine were not that bad to do... (the hoses). I jsut took that access panel in fron of the passenger off, and it was right there.

I dont see why heater cores get such a bad rap... seemed pretty easy to me... not FUN, but easy.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts