Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm going to go look at a 65 "mustang" this weekend that was restored/restomodded but the owner never hooked up the heater core. I was told because he never planned to drive in bad weather and to maintain a cleaner look. He said the car does have a new heater core in there but if my memory serves me I'm going to have to remove the heater core enough to be able to get the hoses hooked up and tightened.

I've done this twice before once, on a 65 Falcon and once on my 69 Mach 1 and its very hard to remove the clips on the fiberglass heater core box with out damaging the box. Both times I was able to get the box sealed back up and most of the clips reinstalled but I'd like to do this right as this is a very nice car. Is there a special pair of pliers to remove these clips? or does everyone just use a screwdriver and hope for the best?

·
Registered
4,292 Posts
I've always pried one side of the clip off with a screwdriver. Never had an issue with it, but we are dealing with 50+ year old fiberglass that has gone through numerous heat/cold cycles.

·
Registered
880 Posts
You should not need to take the heater core out of the heater box to hook the heater hoses to it if this is all it needs. Just take out the nuts around the heater motor on the fire wall side and the 1 screw under the dash that supports the heater box and you should be able to slide the box out enough to get access to the heater hose connections to attach the hoses.

If for some reason you need to get the box opened, the clips can be easily removed and re installed by using a flat blade screwdriver to pry the clips open by inserting the blade between one of the ears and the body of the clip and leveraging the body of the clip to pry the clip open and off the box. This will prevent any damage to the clip mounting points on the Fiberglas box.

·
Premium Member
1966 Mustang Hardtop 289 4 Speed
6,108 Posts
I recently installed a new heater core and box in my 66. Initially I installed the hoses on the assembly then pushed the hoses through the firewall and mounted the box. BUT I didn't like one of the hose routing and replaced it with the box in place. With the passenger seat out of the car I was easily able to replace the hose. I put a thin coating of synthetic grease inside the first 1" or 2 of the hose. And tightened the clamp with a nut driver.

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
Rule #1- If you try to remove the clips in the car you will destroy the box.

Once the heater is out of the car, removing the clips is dead easy. Lever the clips as shown and you will never damage a heater again.

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
I recently installed a new heater core and box in my 66. Initially I installed the hoses on the assembly then pushed the hoses through the firewall and mounted the box. BUT I didn't like one of the hose routing and replaced it with the box in place. With the passenger seat out of the car I was easily able to replace the hose. I put a thin coating of synthetic grease inside the first 1" or 2 of the hose. And tightened the clamp with a nut driver.
I like to install the repro fancy stripe hose before cutting it. Make a big loop and push the hose through the firewall. Attach to the heater. Install the heater while a helper gently pulls on the hose. Once the heater is installed, route the hose as per factory, cut and attach.

If you squint you can see what looks like zip ties on the hoses. They are actually aluminum ties, available from AMK Products.

They come 4.5" and 7.15"

·
Registered
721 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had no idea the heater box apparently comes out so easy. Sounds like it just a few nuts from the firewall side and 1 screw inside, should be easy to pull the whole assembly if necessary.

·
Registered
64 1/2 D Code Coupe,
3,326 Posts
Maybe you should check the heater core before buttoning everything back up

·
Registered
880 Posts
I had no idea the heater box apparently comes out so easy. Sounds like it just a few nuts from the firewall side and 1 screw inside, should be easy to pull the whole assembly if necessary.
Just to be clear there is the matter of the 3 heater and defroster control cables that have to be disconnected along with the 2 defroster duct hoses if you want to remove the entire box from the car. This along with the heater/defroster plenum and it’s no picnic to take out. A bit unwieldy but not terrible to get out. Gets a little more difficult if you have factory a/c but still not impossible. Good luck! You’ll do fine.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Definitely take out the front passenger seat. Much easier on the body - Your body.

·
Registered
516 Posts
I had my entire interior out, including the glove box, when I replaced mine. That made it pretty easy.

Be sure to label the ends of the heater control cables when you remove those from the heater box.

·
Registered
35,863 Posts
I had my entire interior out, including the glove box, when I replaced mine. That made it pretty easy.

Be sure to label the ends of the heater control cables when you remove those from the heater box.
I'd look at the glove box, too. With the heater out, it's dead easy to replace the box, without all that folding and scraping of the opening.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts