Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had a leaky core and I only drive my car in the summer anyway, so I don't need the heater. I have removed the core and just plugged off where the hoses go to the intake and the water pump.

Can I just use a hose to connect the intake outlet to the water pump outlet? What will this do to cooling...will it help or hurt or no effect? Thanks.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
That's exactly what the assembly manual shows for heater delete on assembly, connecting the intake to the water pump. The hose is a bit longer than a direct connection in the assy manual, running towards where the heater would be, past the air cleaner / carb location and then looping back as the return hose would do.

Steve

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
So, is there any harm in using a shorter hose (about 12") and just running it straight down the front of the motor from the intake to the water pump? What would be the purpose of looping it around the motor like that?

Has anyone done this on their car?

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Probably the idea is to (1) cool the liquid a bit by running it a LITTLE as designed with the heater in place, and (2) keep the hose routing close to spec.

As for harm with a shorter hose, I think you'll probably be fine.

Steve

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
Right... it follows the same path as the heater hoses would travel.

·
Registered
2,466 Posts
I don't think you will have a problem with a shorter hose bypassing the heater.

You will loose some cooling effect from water traveling through the hoses and heater core, but unless your car ran on the verge of overheating before removing the heater, it should not be a problem.

Heater cores and a new foam kit are pretty cheap. It is nice to have heat on the cool spring/fall mornings.

·
Banned
5,578 Posts
OK, that makes sense to me. I always like to do things like this according to factory spec, figuring that they must have had a reason.

·
Registered
7,948 Posts
I've done this on my car (with the loop up to the factory carb) for almost 15 years. No cooling problems. With no fluid in the core there can't be any leaks! Since the core is such a pain to remove, I just blew the water out and left it in place. I figure if I decide I want a heater some day, I'll do the removal and replacement at the same time, until then why bother? I put a connector between the the two heater core hoses (cut very short).

John Harvey

G

·
0 Posts
It'll work just fine with a short hose.
And I knew I'd seen your car before.I'm here in Reno too,nice car you have.

Ron

·
Premium Member
2,447 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for the compliment Ron. Are you bustin your *** trying to get yours ready for HAN too? Mine always seems to break right before. Your car is black primer? Mine was too in high school. LOL.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
I've done it with a shorter hose and had no problems. I however discovered the heater is nice to have in the mornings and I replaced the core.

G

·
0 Posts
Yes mines been black primer for two years now.Someday I will get around to painting it.I'm busting my butt to get my car for HAN.My car is no where near as nice as yours.But it's fun,and every year I get alittle more done.Next time I see your at a cruise night I'll come over and say Hi.

Ron

1 - 15 of 15 Posts