Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My son's 68 FB is 99% finished. The problem is that it smells like mouse from being stored. We replaced the carpets and upholstery but the smell is still strong. My guess is that the smell is coming from the heater housing. I don't think it is the headliner. The questions:

1. Can the heater box be opened and cleaned without loosening the heater and A/C lines... (a/c is charged and works)
2. Can the heater fan motor be removed without removing the heater housing and what is the process?

Thanks in advance...

Stan

·
Gone but never forgetten
25,239 Posts
1. Can the heater box be opened and cleaned without loosening the heater and A/C lines... (a/c is charged and works)
Maybe. It can on a non-a/c car, but I can't say for sure on an A/C car, since I've never had one. My recommendation is to replace the heater core though. Better to spend the $17 now and not deal with again for another 20 or 25 years.

2. Can the heater fan motor be removed without removing the heater housing and what is the process?
No. You MUST remove the heater box to remove the motor ... the motor bolts is what holds the heater box/motor assembly in the car.

·
Registered
938 Posts
On either A/C or non you can't get the box to seperate.well you can get it apart but you won't get it back together again. The metal clips you see on the front seam go around to the firewall side also. To put the box back together again you have to position them back in the little offsets for them and give a light smack to pop them back into place.. Also the A/c evaporator is in the box first..closest to the passenger side and the cowl opening dumps right on top of it. Most likely where thee critter or nest of rotten leaves is. Think it might morso be a animal since have had many packed with leaf devris but no smell or not nearly what you describe.
What you might try is lossen the box by removeing the large sheet metal screw at the cowl and the box nuts that thru the firewall. You'll have to remove the firewall shield where the lines go thru also. Brace up the box.it'll be heavy..with some blocks and let it down as far as it will go or as far as the lines will allow. You might get a couple inchs..enough to get handd up in the hole in the box at the cowl vent, maybe a small diameter flesible shop vac hose and suck out what you can. Can toss some deoderizer in there but that won't last.
Best to have system decharged, remove box andd go thru it with new foam seals and heater core then reinstall. Get ready for some fun breaking the A/C lines loose at the firewall. Might have you A/C shop do that for you. They'll aslo be able to advise how much and what kind of oil to add if you keep the evaporator open to long.....

1 - 4 of 4 Posts