Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part of this month's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the new heater hose connector into my Weiand Street Warrior manifold. It's 1/2"NPT with a 5/8" hose connection. Problem is, I tightened it as far as I think I should but the outlet is pointing at the left front corner of the engine bay. I'd like it to be about 180deg (about another 1/2 turn) but I don't want to strip the threads or crack the manifold. If I back up a 1/2 turn it'll probably be too loose. Any thoughts? Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
It requires a fine sense of feel to know when a pipe thread is getting tight and if you try to get one more turn you are going to get stuck between a rock and a hard place. Remove it, wrap the threads with teflon tape or brush on some liquid pipe thread sealant and go at it again.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It requires a fine sense of feel to know when a pipe thread is getting tight and if you try to get one more turn you are going to get stuck between a rock and a hard place. Remove it, wrap the threads with teflon tape or brush on some liquid pipe thread sealant and go at it again.

I put Permatex thread sealant on it. I only need a half turn more but I'll remove it and try again with teflon tape instead and see if I end up in the right place. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
13,227 Posts
Only you are there with it so only you know if that extra half turn will cause damage. It's highly unlikely you'll strip the threads and much more likely you'll crack the manifold it it's too tight.

·
Registered
297 Posts
If you think its too much to go an extra 1/2 turn, I'd say, it probably is..
Trust yourself instincts, and go ahead as above, and try 2 wraps of thread tape.. they don't need to be hella tight..

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,626 Posts
If the Teflon tape doesn't remedy your situation, I'd buy the correct NPT tap and just clean the threads until you can get the extra 1/2 turn.

·
Registered
84 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Update: Used the teflon tape and that seemed to solve the problem. Plus I didn't try to make it gorilla tight and now its pointed in the right direction. Thanks again for the advice everyone.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts