Vintage Mustang Forums banner
  • Hey everyone! Enter your ride HERE to be a part MAY's Ride of the Month Challenge!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I don't know if this qualifies for a dufuss or not but while trying to remove the ugly red heater hoses that the PO put on, I ran into a problem removing the ends that go thru the fire wall and connect to the nipples on the heater. I sliced the ends to losen them up as best I can with the limited space that you have but still can't get them off. I tried twisting and tuging but didn't want to twist and tug to hard on the hose end and cause the heater to leak, so I by- passed the heater for now by running a hose from the water pump to the manifold, and thought I'll ask for some help.

·
Registered
6,070 Posts
see if you can get a thin blade knife..like a fillet knife and lay it flat against the heater core nozzle and then try to slice the hose away..gently..

·
Registered
6,911 Posts
they end up gluing themselves to the metal barbs...

I cut shallow and parallel to the side of the barb so it looks like you're unwrapping a cardboard roll...from there you can separate the bond

·
Registered
1,839 Posts
Be careful. If you cut the hose off with the blade pointing towards the barb, you might dig into the barb, causing a leak. I did this once, had to double clamp it and use some RTV.

·
Registered
127 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the info guys! I hope I didn't dig to deep while cutting. I guess I'll find out when I finally get it buttoned up.

G

·
I slice them along the length of the hose, cutting deeper in several passes until I just break through. Then I peel them off.

·
Registered
1,770 Posts
Ummm...you did remove the hose clamps that would be in the passenger compartment side of the firewall?

·
1,215 Posts
As 66conv6 says, those hoses go through the firewall to the heater core, but they
are held on by clamps on the inside. You need to take the front off of the heater box
and pull the heater core out. You will then be able to remove the rest of the heater hoses/clamps
and allow you to install the new ones.

Then you can feed the new ones through the firewall onto the core, and put the clamps on. Work
the core back in place and button up the heater box. Then attach the heater hoses to the manifold and
water pump ends, and bingo...You're finished!

Hope this helps some.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts