Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What is the factory routing of the heater hose (intake to lower core) and (water pump to upper core) on a 289 with an Autolite 4100? I have seen a bracket over/under/beside the choke housing that holds the intake hose while the water pump hose lays loose between the valve cover and shock tower, just above the exhaust manifolds. Other pics will show the intake hose supported by the bracket on the 4100 by the choke, and the water pump hose connected (tied together) with the manifold hose, going to the heater core.

I am thinking of routing the hoses the following way (pic below) which I have seen on another forum, that people say, are the way some Shelbys came from the factory (manifold and water pump hose, twisted together, laying on top of the intake manifol, between the valve cover and carb. You thougts if this is safe? A good idea? Bad idea? I like the routing since it keeps the right bank of the engine clean looking, no hoses hanging over the valve cover and down beside the engine and shock tower.

·
Registered
1,366 Posts
With the top of the coil rotated outward (toward the dipstick) there is enough room to route the hose inboard of the coil and it will lay nicely along side the second hose with no twist. The second image best shows the routing.

·
Registered
34,286 Posts
And now for the official FoMoCo routing. On the 289HP, the hose simply lays on the top of the valve cover, then is suspended from a rubber strap (tire carcass) hanging from the RH tower brace. (oddly, the 6 cylinder Mustang also should have this rubber strap). Note the ties. They are not nylon zip ties, they are aluminum straps. And yes, they are available in repro.

·
Registered
352 Posts
If the spark plug wire hold down was the center, Do the hoses go one the exhaust side or the intake side. Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts