Vintage Mustang Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey folks!

I took apart my dash this last weekend, swapping out the standard black panels for the woodgrain. I also took the opportunity to fix the jammed heater control (the 'heat' switch only went halfway down). This turned out to be a broken plastic collar, which I fixed by pulling up the rubber sheathing around the pulley wire and using electric tape.
This morning, the heater went out on the way to work. I can feel the heat drifting up from the vents, and when I step on the gas, I can hear whirring behind the dash, but no blowing.
My thought is the motor has died (but what's whirring then?) or the fan has come loose from the motor and what I'm hearing is the motor turning and the fan slipping.

Any other thoughts about fixing this?

thanks!

Tom.

·
Registered
123 Posts
One suggestion:
When you are driving, the air rushing through from the vents in the hood, and through the heater-core might make the fan turn a little, and then you get some heat through the vents, also you might have something lying around inside the fan that makes the whirring noise?

My guess is that the fan is dead, but you might want to check your wires and fuses before buying a new one

·
(actually Slim Jr now)
24,597 Posts
Does it have factory A/C? The HVAC controls were partly vacuum. The operation would change when engine was/is under load. Just a thought.

Slim

·
Registered
5,740 Posts
Test the blower mtr by itself. Unplug the blk & yellow wires at the firewall inside engine bay. Now hook a set of jump leads from mtr to battery. If you don't hear it spin, it's seized. Common for them to rust up and seize. If it spins, problem elswhere.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
No AC in the car. worked just fine this morning. I was going to pop out the glove box and see if the thing is turning.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Took a look at the control wires today, cleaned the connections from the engine bay, popped out the glove to get a bit better look and sprayed some WD40 around. The blower is moving fine now. I'll see if it keeps up for th next few days.

Thanks guys!

Tom.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts